Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to Replace Oil Cooler Thermostat with photos - Diesel

Post Thanks / Like

How to Replace Oil Cooler Thermostat with photos - Diesel

Apologies if this has been done before, but here's a quick guide to replacing the oil cooler stat on the diesel. This is about the 3rd or 4th time I've had to do mine, so they seem to last about 3 years or so, for me any way. Symptoms are :- temp guage struggling to get above the 1/4 mark, unless on the motorway when it will move towards halfway but never quite get there, once the powers off it's straight back to the 1/4 mark. I've also had one which would swing from the qtr mark to the halfway mark and back, like a windscreen wiper, which is another tell-tale sign.

This is an ok job, one which sounds worse than it is.

Here's the start, take off the engine cover. The oil cooler stat lives under the airbox, tucked in with the water pump. To get the airbox out you have to (in no particular order)

1) undo those 2 electrical clips (answers on a post card if you know what these are for?)
    2) carefully unclip the MAF sensor
    3) open the clip in the ducting leading to the turbo - I just use a pair of mole grips on this large spring clip
    4) pop the air trumpets off

Here's the 'before' shot

and here's everything unclipped ready for the airbox to come out

The airbox should now lift out.

The airbox sits on a bracket, as below, secured by 3 x 10mm screws. Undo these and remove the bracket.

You should now be able to see the water pump and the power steering pump. The oil cooler stat resides next to the engine block and looks like this.

There is an 8mm retaining bolt behind the stat , a bit difficult to get at - here's a closer shot

Remove this bolt, I used a 8mm socket and small extension like this. You won't get a standard 8mm spanner in the space, but a flex head 8mm may do it.

Okay, now you're ready for the swap. Stuff a cloth underneath just to catch the worst of the coolant. Have your new stat close at hand. [Edit - smear some vaseline around the o'ring on the new stat - this helps it seat better and avoids it getting pinched when you're pushing it in]. Gently twist the old stat back and forth so that it slowly starts to come away. It's in reasonably tight - it wont just fly out. When you can see it starting to move away, get your new stat in your free hand, lift away the old stat and get your new stat into the hole. The key is to be calm..expect some flow...pop the new stat into the hole and wriggle it into place.

So here is the new stat in place, and the old stat still in the pipework. Refit your 8 mm retaining bolt.

Using a pair of pliers, release the spring clip and feed it down the pipe so you've enough clearance to twist the old stat off. Don't worry, there's no flow here - the coolant just sits in the pipe. With the old stat removed you can now push the pipe onto the new stat and then bring the spring clip back up into position. I must say I'm a bit of a bore here - whilst pliers are ok, they can slip and be a pain - so I do use the proper spring clip pliers. The wifes audi has these clips everywhere so I had to get a pair.

That's pretty much it. You will lose a wee bit of coolant, but if you move swiftly then it won't be vey much. I topped up with leftovers I had from a coolant - change a while back, but so long as you can see coolant still in the expansion tank when you're finished then I wouldn't be sweating too much.

When you're refitting the airbox, don't forget to pop the vacuum pipe back into place - it's easily forgotten.

Here's the new stat before it went in. Use a Jag original. In summary - don't be frightened - this is an ok job which is within reach of anyone comfortable doing oil changes etc. An hour will kill this one...

Compulsory red wine to finish...cheers
    Last edited by Oilspill; 27-02-17 at 09:56.
    2004 Saloon 2.0D SE in Jaguar Racing Green/Champagne

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job there but I'd like to add a smear of vaseline around the new stat O ring to prevent it from snagging when aligning the bolt hole - the first time I did this without I ripped the O ring and lost a load of coolant on the next drive out.
    2005 55 reg 06MY 2.0D Sovereign.
    Jaguar Racing Green - HGZ

Post Thanks / Like
    I like this alot!

My current X has the same symptoms as you state.... Getting just above the 1/4 and...well, not doing much else really! I thought the lower running temp was just a quirk of the 2.2... But now i know!
    Irritating the humourless since 1973

2006 2.2D Sport Premium Estate. Winter pack. 18" Proteus alloys, MTEC drilled and grooved F&R Discs, Xenon's, Rear and Side Tints, Sat Nav, Bluetooth & Voice, CD Changer, Audio Connectivity Module, Rear TV Connectivity, Interior LED upgrade, LED Rear light cluster complete bar the tail/brake lights, Self lift tailgate mod, Stainless steel lower mesh grille. Upgrades to be sourced and fitted: Mood Lighting, Premium sound and possibly Android in Head Unit.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have this temp problem. After fitting 2 of these with no change, i'm having a ECU firmware update this week, which causes the same temp problems with low MPG issues.
    cliff
    My mile muncher is an 09 x-type sovereign saloon 2.2 Diesel 6 speed manual in Ultimate black with 150k and counting.
    The EGR is the work of the devil. The Devil has been Deleted with a though s/s pipe and prototype EGR simulator. To order this simulator on Ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172446175260
    How to fit is here http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthrea...=egr+simulator

5. Likes Mr Squirrel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did this job a few months back and have had no problems at all since. I agree with smearing a bit of vaseline on the o-ring. I lost about 3.5 litres of coolant but that was because I was far too slow in swapping them over. I just topped the expansion tank up very slowly and all was well.
    X Type Jag 2.0D SE
    2005 in lovely British Racing Green with cream leather interior

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy2Jags View Post
    Nice job there but I'd like to add a smear of vaseline around the new stat O ring to prevent it from snagging when aligning the bolt hole - the first time I did this without I ripped the O ring and lost a load of coolant on the next drive out.
    Yep, you're dead right - this is quite important - I forgot to add this to the text - which I've now added as an edit
    Last edited by Oilspill; 27-02-17 at 11:05.
    2004 Saloon 2.0D SE in Jaguar Racing Green/Champagne

8. Thanks Billy2Jags thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent post, thanks. This is a job that is on my 'to do' list.
    2009 (MY2010) X type 2.2D SE Estate, Ionian Blue, Champagne leather with warm charcoal trim, Rosewood veneer, heated/memory seats, heated front screen & mirrors, auto-fold mirrors, touch-screen with navigation, Bluetooth phone, a/c climate control, radio/cassette with aux/mp3 player input, cruise control, auto lights/wipers, headlight washers, front & rear parking sensors, front dash-cam, 17" Bermuda alloys...

"Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society" - Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Did mine last year, found that I could blow through the end of the old one (not sealing) effect was 1/4 on the temp gauge, plenty of reports about using a genuine one (copies not lasting or working correct)

Cheers Ian G

Post Thanks / Like
    Genuine one was only just under £30 anyway.
    X Type Jag 2.0D SE
    2005 in lovely British Racing Green with cream leather interior

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello everyone,

I'm planning to replace this 'stat on my car thanks to this excellent how to. Will I be ok topping up the coolant using Halfords OAT silicate free pink? as I have some handy.I'm sure I read somewhere that Jaguar coolant shouldn't be mixed with other types. The coolant colour that's in is a pinky orange colour. Your advice will be much appreciated.

Gary.
    Jaguar X Type 2ltr Diesel. 08 plate. Euro 4. Metalic black PEF paint. Warm charcoal half leather LEG trim. Blanked EGR. Overrun pulley on alternator.

13. Thanks mickbilly thanked for this post
    Likes mickbilly liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast