Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a spare set of alloys to put winter tyres on. I'm currently running 18" 225 40 5 spoke after market alloys and want to put some OEMs on. Do people think 16" loom too small for the CAR or What? 16" would be cheaper for new winter tyres and I can get a set of alloys for under £100 whereas a set of 17" Bermudas are c. £200 2nd hand

·
Premium Member
17,795 Posts
Dan, if you're going with winter tyres and want the best possible option for traction it has to be the 16"

Tyres as you say will be cheaper too.

Will they look as good as the 18"s?
No

They will do what they're supposed to do
Jim

·
Super Moderator
6,468 Posts
Big wheels are basically only for looks. The actual size is required to clear the brakes. Big, heavy cars need big brakes so have big wheels. Smaller, lighter cars just don't need them and it adds unsprung weight - the worst type :)

Smaller diameter tyres are most probably cheaper, often significantly. As long as you don't mind the look of running your car on smaller wheels during the winter, the smallest wheels that fit your car are perfectly fine.

I have 16" winter wheels on the S-Type and 18" summer ones. The car feels better to drive on the smaller wheels but looks better on the bigger ones.

G

·
Same here. I have 16" winter and 18" summer tyres on my X Type. Mainly to avoid ruining the bigger wheels on messy steelworks roads.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I compromised by buying some Bermudas (17") to replace the Proteus (18") that were originally fitted. I use Vector 4 Seasons G2 and they work well enough. It saves changing wheels and/or tyres twice a year and avoids the poor summer ride on the 18 inchers.
Oops, shouldn't have said that as I want to sell the Proteus.....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sorry to hijack the thread.
I have 17" Belize alloys on my 2.0DS, and am looking to change to 18".
Dan what 18" aftermarket wheels have you fitted?
elj221c, what price are you looking for the Proteus?

Many thanks,
Al.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I compromised by buying some Bermudas (17") to replace the Proteus (18") that were originally fitted. I use Vector 4 Seasons G2 and they work well enough. It saves changing wheels and/or tyres twice a year and avoids the poor summer ride on the 18 inchers.
Oops, shouldn't have said that as I want to sell the Proteus.....
depending on how much you're selling them for i'll buy them XD

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MSW by OZ. They were already on when I bought the CAR. Had a few scrapes and I thought htf could you manage to kerb your alloys so much you Muppet and ruin a nice set of alloys?! I've now had the car 2 months and have kerbed 3 different wheels #@×!#×!$!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.