Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 93 XJS that I bought from a friends estate. After buying the car when the battery was hooked up it kept blinking the lights and beeping so I just unhooked the battery everytime. The car started and ran great just when I would turn it off it would beep and blink. I was washing the car and cleaning the interior one weekend and after I dried it off and rehooked the battery the car wouldn't start. Turned over fine just no start. Also the rear quarter windows will not come up when I bring the top up. So I started to investigate and read many different articles. I have come to the conclusion I have a security issue. I have the Valet FOB so after hooking up the battery I would hit the button and finally got the car to stop beeping and blinking. But NO START. I have tried several things that I have read and still nothing. The car will not lock with the key or the FOB so I think I am in the middle of a sequence to reprogram but am stuck. I don't have the owners regular FOB and don't have any idea if that makes a difference or will the VALET FOB get it reprogrammed. Also have the center console out and can't for the life of me find the yellow and black wire to hook up a switch. Hope someone can give me some guidance.

· Registered
110 Posts
The '93 MY was in the middle of the alarm change over period. A US '93 is a R.O.W '92 build. Do you have a back seat or a luggage box ?
The alarm fob needs to be pressed 5 times, once after each beep. The earlier alarm doesn't have the wires in the center box, you reset it by disconnecting the battery ( have the radio code handy...). Also the alarm has the reach of about 2-3 feet from rear of the car. The alarm unit is behind the right rear light and has a small 6v battery that went awol years ago and you can not get a new 1. Batteries + have 1 that will sort of fit.
As for the rear window, that's a common problem. Some say replace the relays on the pump board (in the box or the trunk), others say tap the motor with something hard while pushing the switch. Also the windows take about 7 seconds before they will go up. The valet switch must be off.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying so fast. I have been dealing with this for 6 years now and just found this forum. Wow internet is great. I have a luggage box. I do not have the radio code and it also doesn't work. How do I turn off the valet switch ? If the 6 volt battery went dead would that cause all these issues ? Thanks again.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I looked thru the car last night and found the original owners paperwork and such. Found the radio code card. It has 4 numbers on it. What do I do with the numbers ? I ran thru the beeps and such but when I tried to start it the battery was dead. I have it on the charger today so I will retry tonight. I still can't find the valet switch but I did find a unmarked toggle switch down by the key switch on the steering column. Possibly is that the valet switch ? I will do some looking tonight and get back to you if I have any questions. Thanks for guidance.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I looked thru the car last night and found the original owners paperwork and such. Found the radio code card. It has 4 numbers on it. What do I do with the numbers ? I ran thru the beeps and such but when I tried to start it the battery was dead. I have it on the charger today so I will retry tonight. I still can't find the valet switch but I did find a unmarked toggle switch down by the key switch on the steering column. Possibly is that the valet switch ?

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I put a new batter in the car last night. Did the normal pressing the FOB after each beep. I tried to start but no luck. I hit the FOB and the car makes a lot of chirps and beeps but will not lock. I tried the toggle switch under the key and after hitting the FOB it made some different beeps but still won't lock. I also wont allow me to lock with the key. I have a black key and a green key tried both. Seems like the car is stuck in valet alarm mode. When you mentioned that the valet switch needed to be off was that concerning the rear windows not coming up? Also noticed when cranking that the RPM gauge wasn't moving(seems like someone has said that could be the indication of a bad crank sensor) but sure seems odd that all this would happen at one time with the starting, rear windows not coming up and not being able to lock. An thoughts.
If you have the vin number and proof of ownership a jag dealer should be able to get the radio code. or https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/uk/parts-news.
Valet switch and red LED should be near the ignition switch. The battery holds the codes if the main battery is disconnected that's all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.