Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm after any advice for my 2.2d sport x type estate on a 56 plate

1st and 2nd gear is quite hard to engage at times,just does'nt feel smooth like other gears,it seems worse when engine is cold and seems to improve slightly when car has been driven for a while.
Not sure if this could be a clutch problem or gearbox ?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Crack the piggybank open it sounds like a dual mass problem.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have a similar problem although it's only going into 1st gear. I'm planning on changing the gearbox oil very soon to see if that helps.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have had trouble getting into 1st when stopped. It hasn't got better or worse since I got the car a year ago, and is something I've got used to. Bloody irritating, but, unless it gets much worse, I won't be spending the money on opening her up.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Can you advise how best to remove the gear selector surround, as I think I need to bung some silicone spray around my selector mechanism (before I go shelling out on gearbox oil...)

·
Registered
104 Posts
http://www.jaguarforum.co.uk/f26/gear-shift-gaiter-37799.html

Have a quick look at the top photo's from this thread, it shows this surround being prised up - the surround has a tang in each corner, they are reasonably tough, but as usual with these things 'easy does it'

Like you, I had a 'hard to engage' 1st and 2nd (& reverse) gear issue - worse 1st thing in the morning, and a gearbox oil change and wd40 spay of the mechanisms has certainly helped but not fully cured it

·
Registered
308 Posts
After everything I've tried I've come to the conclusion, in my case, that it's either warn linkage (cable operated on the x-type I believe) or the synchromesh. My car spent most of it's early life in London so has been hopping from 1st to 2nd and back for most of its life I'd say. I think a oil change 60-odd thousand miles ago would have also helped. Jaguar really should have it as a scheduled item, even if it's every 80k. No Oil can be much good after 8 years and 120k miles.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hmm...looks like I should open a savings account to make good for any such future problems with the dual mass flywheel clutch thingy...

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had a similar problem with mine, particularly going into 1st, where sometime, it would appear to be in, but as soon as you tried to move off, it would pop back into neutral with a bang. Couple of months afterwards, I couldn't get any gears with the engine running. Replacement of the clutch and DMF fixed it :(

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had the same problem, drained the gear oil out and out in some special syntehtic castrol stuff designed for "problem" gearboxes (its about £12 a litre)... cannot remeber the grade but its the one that replaced the old Castrol SMX-S oil.

since then its been perfect.

I also then put the same type of oil into the LT77 gearbox in the landrover and it made that 10 times better than before and now longer goes crunch when going from 1st to 2nd.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.