Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold my 2.0d (2004) To my neighbour as a non running project.( I replaced it with a 2007 2.2 estate that I have just come back from a round trip to Kiev in without issues).

The original fault was the coil light would flash and it would immediately cut out. We have been tinkering with the car and its had a replacement set of injectors (coded), heater plugs , maf cleaned fuel filter changed, checked fuel pipes for holes etc. Prior to going to Kiev I bought a mongoose cable, read the fault on his which is P0251 Injector Pump Fuel Metering Control Malfunction,I suspect i'm going to be told this can be a multitude of things.

The car starts straight away off the key, no smoke runs fairly smooth, you can put you foot down and it will rev all day and night sitting on the driveway but as soon as we try to drive it ,we get 100 yards down the road, the coil light blinks and it cuts out.

Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes had a new filter ( not a delph though ) , its odd tho isnt it that it will run happily under no load ( not smoke ) , When revving under no load will the turbo normally kick in ? , If the turbo only kicks in under load could it be the actuator, but then why would it flag a 251 fuel pressure error ?

Steve

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Yes had a new filter ( not a delph though ) , its odd tho isnt it that it will run happily under no load ( not smoke ) , When revving under no load will the turbo normally kick in ? , If the turbo only kicks in under load could it be the actuator, but then why would it flag a 251 fuel pressure error ?

Steve
Because it could be low fuel pressure? (not trying to sound awkward there) there might just be enough to let it idle and rev static, however under load the pressure is more important as it needs the fuel delivered under pressure to run properly, or else it wouldn't have a pump.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Lots of posts on here about the importance of a quality fuel filter.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
It does sound like fuel pressure.
Could be a knackered pump - was there ant metal filings in the old filter?

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Taken from the workshop manual
P0251 Injection pump fuel metering
control valve

Contaminated fuel
Air ingress
Pump fault
Excessive injector
leakage
Swarf in system
Inlet metering valve fault

Check for contaminated fuel. Draw off approximately 1 litre (2.11
pints) of fuel into a clear container and allow to settle for 1 minute.
Examine the fuel for separation indicating contamination. Check the
low-pressure fuel system for air ingress, check the fuel pump for
evidence of swarf, etc. Check for injector leakage and DTCs
indicating an inlet metering valve fault

From this I would start by doing a Leak off test.

Roger

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.