Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brought the jag 3 weeks ago,was very cheap ,owner took me for a test drive and seemed ok,so brought it.
Then the fun began drove it home engine light came on and then the dreaded flashing coil light,got car home and started doing research on the problems.Also found out it had egr bypass so that also needed sorting.
1st item to be replaced cam sensor,£10 part 5 mins to replace. Still had problem
2nd item fuel filter and millers diesel additive,no change
3rd item to replaced was egr system,both valve and pipe,stopped engine light coming on but still coil flashing,also alot of black smoke was being put out off the exhaust.
4th items to be replaced was a used set off injectors,changed the middle 2 as they looked like they were leaking ,took it for a drive and went above 2500rpm and then coil light started flashing again,changed last 2 injectors and been for a hard drive and seems ok now.
Injectors will be programmed monday,
If you think injectors look hard to change,they are not,just need a 21mm window injector socket and a 15mm spanner,took me 20mins to change last 2 injectors,if you do change injectors also replace o ring on leak off fitting.

I hope this helps others who have the same problem.

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Well done, glad to hear of a success.

Roger

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Useful info, and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have also been getting error code P0251, coil light comes on and sometimes with engine management light and car going into limp mode, if I get coil light on it's own car continues to drive okay, it occurs during hard accelerating so I stop the car restart it with no problem and no lights and car drives normally. I looked on this Forum Site and found a thread that said to change the fuel filter and open it up to check for debris which I did and found nothing. I had all 4 injectors reconditioned last December 2017 due to car going into limp mode this fixed the problem, so I returned to the guy who did the injectors. Before I took it in I noticed that around one of the injectors was a wetness where the other 3 were bone dry so I did say this to him. When I collected the car he told me he had to replace the pilot valve in 2 of the injectors, he asked me where I purchased my fuel because here in Ireland sulphur was removed from diesel two years ago thanks to the Green Party, which did provide lubrication, so the fuel I was getting from Applegreen and Texaco etc is dry and the only company putting lubrication in their fuel is Topaz/Circle-K and he advised me to use that fuel from now on, he is seeing a lot of problems due to lack of lubrication in the fuel. Whilst I was at his garage I purchased some BG244 Diesel Cleaner/Lubricant only available through the trade not available from retail outlets. So driving home I put the car through it's paces and coil light came on I returned to the injector guy who put his computer on the car and said that there is nothing wrong with the injectors because he had checked them twice and the fault in his opinion was the fuel pump. (The injector guy has a great reputation in the area and a lot of garages send work to him so he is well respected and knows his stuff).

So anyway I visited my local garage back home that I been using for a few years for jobs that I can't handle like timing chains and clutch etc and he said he had never known problems with the fuel pumps on the X-type or Mondeo and said it must be something else and also because of the clean Bosch fuel filter, so we hooked up a Delphi computer and I took the car for a drive and got the coil light to come on, the computer diagnosed Fuel Pump Metering Valve which I ordered and changed but coil light is still coming on, no signs of metal fragments in metering valve all clean. I did notice that 3 of the injectors are now wet around the bottom, so I returned to my local garage to report that the valve did not fix the fault and told him about the wetness around the injectors which he is going to fix on Tuesday with new seals and to see if he can get to the bottom of the problem. So after reading through other threads here I checked the turbo actuator arm, good tip about tying cotton to the c-clip, after disconnecting I found the arm was very free to move with no restriction (felt like nothing was connected to it inside is that normal) so I reconnected the arm and started the car whilst watching the arm which moved forward and only moved back when the car was turned off, the arm did also move when revving the engine. I had noticed for quite awhile now that with the car parked with hand brake on the car would only rev up to 3000rpm and would not go over that, but today I could rev the car to the red line, I had assumed the rev limit was an engine protection so I was never concerned because it was okay when driving. The one thing I have not replaced is the cam position sensor so far, the car drives great under normal conditions and I have no problem starting it either hot or cold, no metal found in fuel filter or metering valve, the fuel pump is a very expensive item to replace only to find it is not the culprit and it was an inexpensive sensor after all, I am hoping that it is the fuel leak from the injectors, any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Get a code reader that measures real-time variables and look at FRP or fuel rail pressure. 4th gear at 2000rpm and full throttle - I presume that is the point you get the P0251 error. If so, in my experience of a previous 2.0d Mk3 Mondeo, my leaky P0251 inducing injectors were 1100 bar at this point. After the injectors were reconned, the pressure was now 1300 bar and no more P0251.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for the advice Winco, I purchased myself the iCarsoft LR V2.0, are you sure the pressure is in Bar because I am getting 12644 psi on my code reader that converts to 871 Bar. I am also getting P1211 code as well as P0251.

Since my first post when I took my car into my local garage he replaced the seals on the injector return lines no more leaks around the injectors, he also ran through his fuel cleaner system it is like Terraclean made by the same man who invented it but since he sold the rights is not allowed to call it Terraclean. Still have the problem of coil light coming on when putting the foot down and when going up hill in fifth gear, but the light does not come on if I keep the car in fourth gear and keep the speed around 80km/h and around 2000rpm. I have noticed also that my fuel consumption usually around 5.6 to 5.7 L/100Km has increased to 6.2 L/100Km since the fault appeared. I returned to the Diesel Injector man and asked him if he had done a leak off test when he had my car and he said that a leak off test was a waste of time because of the high pressure, he was able to take the injectors up to full pressure on his test rig and check the spray pattern. So I told him I was about to pull the trigger on the HP fuel pump, he suggested that I get the fuel tank checked for contamination in case under heavy demand that a lump of dirt was being sucked into the fuel outlet from the tank. So the fuel tank was removed and checked yesterday by my local garage, nothing was found in the tank, it was spotless and fuel line purged for good measure. An interesting thing was found, my car is a 2009 2.0 Diesel and it has a low pressure pump in the top of the fuel tank, numerous posts say that the diesel cars do not have this pump fitted well it looks like some do. So I am at the point of deciding to get the HP Fuel pump replaced, it is looking like the fuel line pressure is low compared to what it is supposed to be after reading the results I got on the last failure file on my reader. I have today put in 2 bottles of Forte Turbo Cleaner for good measure it can't harm, tried to get the car up to some speed in fifth gear,coil light came on. Any last thoughts before I spend big money on a new/recon HP fuel pump.

Attachments

·
Registered
676 Posts
I would still have a leak off test carried out as any injector allowing too much fuel to leak back will not let the pump get the fuel rail up to the required pressure.

Also if it is the high pressure pump that is at fault here it will possibly be pushing metal particles down to the injectors which in turn will damage them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
So I have finally resolved my problem with coil light, limp mode, P0251 error code, High Pressure pump replaced today and the car is going like a rocket, more responsive so the removed pump was obviously holding back by not producing enough pressure, glad to see the back of the problem and back to happy motoring in my Jaguar.:-D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.