Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing my long serving mondeo tdci with an x type estate looking for something less than 80k miles.
I am drawn to the 2.2 as I'm unsure as to whether the 2l has enough umph. My questions:
What should I be wary of when shopping?

Is the auto box more reliable than the early models? I want a manual preferably but there is not much choice so will I be risking anything on an auto?
Do any of the stereos do audio Bluetooth streaming? Failing that do they have an aux input?
What are they like for tall drivers? I'm 6'4 and like my mundano - it's just super dull ;)

Budget is about 5k

·
Premium Member
17,889 Posts
We have the 2.2d Sport Premium, a good one too previously owned by my son for 2 years, it's in excellent condition with only 73k miles and around your budget at £4500

Love the car and as its the Sport Premium and one of the last it has EVERYTHING

My other 2 sons both had X types too, another had the 2.2d and Peter had the 2.0d.
Let me tell you a good looked after 2.0d is no slouch I can assure you

I'm a tall guy at around 6'3" more or less and to be honest, it's a little neat for me to consider, but please check yourself.

Jim

·
Registered
690 Posts
I'm 6'3" and 110kg ( approx 17 stone 4 lbs...) and with the seat back fully it's very comfortable (can happily cruise until a full tank of fuel needs refilling...) - but as mine is lhd it has a built-in foot rest for my left foot...

Other threads say check clutch... as that is expensive, other servicing costs are "normal" and the brakes seem to last me a LOT longer than the Fiat Sedici brakes which ate pads and discs each year. Not changed either yet and that's two years of the same travelling / driving as the Fiat had...

Oh and a dodgy battery will throw no end of codes & grief - x types want and need a GOOD battery...

They love being looked after and are a good ride - there is a thread on what we like about out x types - don't just read about what goes wrong...

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I have recently upgraded from a '05 2.0D manual to an '09 2.2D auto and I must say I am very impressed by the extra torque and the smoothness of the auto box. It's a lovely drive and not a huge drop in mpg. Go for it.

·
Premium Member
17,889 Posts
Thanks everyone for the Input!
Jim do you have a listing for the 2.2? Is it the estate? And finally where abouts are you based?
Lol my car isn't for sale, it's my wife's car

Hope you get what you want

Jim

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Not much in it -
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ru22gtrt232y908/Estate_Specifications.pdf

·
Registered
47 Posts
2.0 will remap well but ideally go for a Pendle map. Most 2.0 will also stand a full EGR blank. Most 2.2 will only stand a partial EGR blank but with the six speed gearbox are more relaxed if you do lots of dual carriageway/motorway/high speed driving. Only the very late cars (late 08/09?) cars have DPFs which personally I would avoid. Even the late cars now need real inspection for severe rust having bitten in. Look very carefully around the rear floor plan, outer edges of the floor and the outer sills as far as you can see under the sill covers for rot. Also under the front strut tops. They have very poor rust protection and little if any wax in cavities so look for a good one and rust proof extensively with something like Dinitrol or Bilt Hamber's wax

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.