Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just started using my new toy and as the the title suggests it seems reluctant to change back into sixth after it has changed down either when climbing a hill or when using the J gate to select 5th. It will stay in 5th even when the road levels out or even goes down a slight downgrade.

It seems OK when accelerating from a standing start and will go through the gears quite happily to 6th and will stay there until the road conditions dictate a downshift.

The car isn't in "sport" mode and it seems the same whether using cruise control or not.

Any thoughts gratefully recieved.

Andrew

· Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, when re-reading my post its not clear, I should have said that when moving the gear selector back to "D" after selecting "5" you would expect the revs to drop (the box changes back up to 6th) on a level road or down gradient, this doesn't generally happen.

This is in normal mode - i.e. sport is not selected.

· Registered
22,331 Posts
Andrew have you tried a motorway journey for an hour or two?

Sometimes cars that have long been underused gum up, so that helps loosen things up.

Book a slot with some of our track day chaps and have some fun while you're at it :)

· Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's dual carriageway driving at about 60-65mph, its been driven back from Buxton to North Wales and has done several trips to work and back now (75 mile round trip).

I think it may be the opposite, the previous owner was an "enthusiastic" driver and I am generally less so in order to keep the MPG up. i understand that the gearbox "learns" so we'll see how things develop.

· Registered
10,049 Posts
It won't go into 6th until about 70mph ish (depends on conditions including temp. of gearbox) once in 6th it will hold it down to 55mph ish. 70mph in 6th = 1900/2000rpm
Normal D select, no sport.

· Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all, I have been experimenting based on comments here and had sort of come to a similar conclusion, I wasn't going quite fast enough for it to change up. A quick blip up to 70 ish and she changes up and holds the gear when I drop the speed back down to 60-ish as Victor has described.

What had confused me slightly was having owned a 3.0 petrol (with the Ford auto box) for a while. This is obviously a less sophisticated box and behaves differently - it would change up when I would have "expected" it to - i.e. under the conditions I described at the start of the post.

Apart from the obvious petrol/diesel difference it is amazing how completely different the two cars are to drive.

· Registered
67 Posts
Andrew, in auto mode sometimes mine is hesitant to go into top gear. When this happens I accelerate to just above 70 and then quickly take my foot off the gas. This always makes it shift up to sixth..

· Registered
10,049 Posts
Post deleted by Victor

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.