Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I have had a quick look around the forum for a possible answer to this, but can't find anything specific. Apologies if I have missed a similar post.

My 2000 3.0L's fan was running when I switched the car off the other day. Upon investigation I found the coolant level very low, so I topped it up. This happened a few days on the trot and now the heater won't blow warm or hot and sometimes smells a bit "coolanty" inside the car. I can fill the expansion bottle from empty, go to work and back (about 15 miles round trip) and it is empty again. I don't know where it is going as I can't see any under-car leaks and the oil on the dipstick is normal level with no water present. There is a bit of mayonnaise on the underside of the oil filler cap.

I am sure everyone will be screaming "head gasket!" but I'd like everyone's opinion before I jump to conclusions.

Any expert knowledge much appreciated!

All the best

John

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
A little bit of mayo is not abnormal.

I had a similar experience, not a drop on the drive. Garage had a look and it was dripping onto the under shield from the RAD .. Should be able to see that through the lower bumper vents.

TT

·
Registered
48 Posts
From the symptoms you describe, my bet would be on a leaking heater core:
- Heater is not blowing hot air = no hot coolant in heater core.
- Coolant smell in car = coolant in the cabin.

Have you tried wiping the windscreen from the inside to see if there is slight sticky misty residue collecting on it? Specially near the vents. That is the last tell-a-tale sign of a busted heater core.

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
Urgent!!

Get under the car asap and check your radiator bottom carefully!

They corrode, warp, and split very suddenly!

if not and you can't see drips, it may be an airlock stopping the system filling up.

To get rid of the airlock park on a steep slope facing uphill, turn heating on Hi and top up.

If there is coolant round the seam of the expansion tank, the nozzle of the small hose coming into the tank may be broken, push it sideways to check.

Misty windscreen can also be due to a choked pollen filter.

Leaves and muck often block the huge gap leading into the left side wheel arch in the engine compartment despite its size. I removed my pollen filter box to clear everything. Lift up the kerb side of the windscreen scuttle cover to see and get to it, or remove it completely if you don't want scratched hands.

·
Registered
S Type 3.0 SE X206 Radiance Red
5,626 Posts
A coolanty smell in the car could be a knackered heater core Like Tug3 said!

Are the front carpets wet?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi folks and thank you so much for the replies. I did have a look at the carpets and they feel fine, but I will do so again.

So, we have some possible culprits:

- Heater core
- Radiator
- Airlock
- Expansion tank nozle
- Pollen filter

But nobody has said "head gasket", the absence of which is music to my ears. Changing the heater matrix doesn't sound like fun however :)

Guys, thanks for all your input, I'll run some checks on all of the above then report back.

Cheers

John

·
Registered
266 Posts
When i had coolant issues on my old 2.5 S Type, the culprits were a cracked header tank, warped rad and a knackered water pump all at once. Was expecting a big bill but to be fair it wasn't bad at all. Not going to Jaguar for the parts undoubtedly saved me a fortune.

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
Johnny, almost any local mechanic can do a "sniff test" to detect a cylinder gasket failure, just takes 3 minutes and could be free.

So get it done for peace of mind.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
I had a blown upper water pipe where I lost 7 liters of coolant. I was unable to stop the car straight away as I was on a narrow mountain road and I did not suffer from blown head gaskets but for peace of mind I would do a sniffer test. So I know that these engines are very well made.

Have you looked at the turret on the upper coolant pipe as they can leak a bit before they totally fail.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. It never ceases to amaze me how friendly this forum is.

I hadn't run the car for a couple of days but did so today. The coolant was totally empty again and it took a good watering can to refill it!

Tomorrow I will attempt to drive it to the garage for a check (I have bought a huge bottle of finest spring water, for the journey!). I'll keep you posted.

Cheers

John

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi everyone. Quick update - the local garage says the rad is leaking from the bottom, so I think Jim_S-V6_2004 gets the prize! No head gasket - yippppeeeee!

Just ordered a used rad from fleabay as the car is going up for sale as soon as it is fixed. Bought an XF :)

All the best

John

·
Registered
1,975 Posts

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Hi everyone. Quick update - the local garage says the rad is leaking from the bottom, so I think Jim_S-V6_2004 gets the prize! No head gasket - yippppeeeee!

Just ordered a used rad from fleabay as the car is going up for sale as soon as it is fixed. Bought an XF :)

All the best

John
You will regret it :-D. The s type is the BEST:mrgreen:

Have fun with your new car.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oops, sorry Twin Turbo. I guess I was overwhelmed by all the helpful advice that I got muddled. Unforgivable. You win first prize, too :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i have same issue and im praying its beause of the same reason as you! and not head gasket. happy for you buddy
Hi there. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You will regret it :-D. The s type is the BEST:mrgreen:

Have fun with your new car.
Thanks Ducmon. I really loved this car and had it for five years, the longest I have ever kept a motor. Sure, I have spent quite a bit on it over the years but it has always kept me going. The decision to replace it with an XF was made before the radiator went (I think the S-Type weed itself in protest) as I had reached the stage where I needed (or wanted) more modern comforts like satnav, bluetooth etc.

The XF feels like a much newer car, even though it is 10 years old, and it is a beautiful drive. I have enjoyed S-Type ownership very much and now I am on my fourth Jag - see http://www.jaguarforum.com/album.php?albumid=1336

You never know, if it doesn't sell I might keep it as it has 12 months MOT and is surely a future classic. If you know of anyone who would like it though, do let me know.

All the best

John

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.