2003 X type 2.5 Sport – Xenon bulb

Fazer

Reaction score
oh...so bulb was fine and it was the ballast...

how much did Halfords charge for the bulb and fitting - if you don't mind me asking.

also - where did you get the ballast from and how much was that please- did you fit it your self? (easy to do?)

thanks
Halfords charged £40 for the bulb and £8 to get their knuckles skinned.
The ballast I found on Amazon for about £30.

Arthur Daley

Reaction score
Halfords charged £40 for the bulb and £8 to get their knuckles skinned.
The ballast I found on Amazon for about £30.
Thanks....sounds like changing the bulb needs small hands....still £8 for 3 'fitters' sounds like a bargain.

Was the ballast an easy DIY job...as i'm not very good at car maintenance.

Could you please let me know which brand ballast and bulb you used.

My concern was replacing one bulb and it looking different to the other side.

so far , I have found these on line for the 3 parts that it could possibly be:

rayUK

Reaction score
That's quite a bit of moisture on the interior of the lens. If it sits for any length of time it can cause corrosion of the mirroring on the lamp reflectors.
The light units can be opened up to get to the interior but you will need to remove the light assemblies from the car and using a heat gun (paint stripper type) you can soften the sealing mastic that holds the two halves together and carefully prise them apart. It would appear that moisture is building up inside because either there is a fault with the sealer or incorrect seating of the bulb(s).
Unfortunately you need the front bumper off to get to the light fixings. It isn't a difficult job but the front undertray fixings are sometimes seized.
At the same time it will make the changing of bulbs very much easier with the light assemblies off the car.
The 2 vids below should help. Although the second one is about replacing the levelling mechanism it clearly shows how to seperate the two halves.
Removing light assembly:
Seperating both halves:
Hope the vids help.

Arthur Daley

Reaction score
That's quite a bit of moisture on the interior of the lens. If it sits for any length of time it can cause corrosion of the mirroring on the lamp reflectors.
The light units can be opened up to get to the interior but you will need to remove the light assemblies from the car and using a heat gun (paint stripper type) you can soften the sealing mastic that holds the two halves together and carefully prise them apart. It would appear that moisture is building up inside because either there is a fault with the sealer or incorrect seating of the bulb(s).
Unfortunately you need the front bumper off to get to the light fixings. It isn't a difficult job but the front undertray fixings are sometimes seized.
At the same time it will make the changing of bulbs very much easier with the light assemblies off the car.
The 2 vids below should help. Although the second one is about replacing the levelling mechanism it clearly shows how to seperate the two halves.
Removing light assembly:
Seperating both halves:
Hope the vids help.
Thanks for taking the time to post those.

I'm a bit concerned as I'm not very good with bigger jobs like taking the bumper off...:)

One for me to ponder on...

Stephen.P

Reaction score
Hi, I think the first thing to do is check that the rear cover is fitted over the bulb holder and that the large rear cover of the light unit is fitted or indeed there. As it can be a bit of a bugger to fit it is not unknow for it to get mislaid. If these are missing or not fitted, correct the problem and then try drying out the light. If all is correct then the advice given above is good.

rayUK

Reaction score
Thanks for that Stephen P. Absolutely correct about checking the rear covers first.
It is a fault of mine to always take for granted that people have checked the easier problems first, but of course as we have seen here with things like "my heater doesn't work", then after many members suggestions and technical help it turns out to be no coolant when the bonnet is finally opened.
I hope it is the rear covers and makes an easy fix for Arthur.

Arthur Daley

Reaction score
Thanks rayUK and Stephen.P...all great advice - I will try and check all the above over the coming days..