Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am new to the jaguar scene and looking to buy my first xj but need some advice.
The questions may be a bit numpty so please forgive me.

1. I am looking at a 2004 xjr, 1 owner fsh and 120k on the clock, is this mileage to high, do xjr's go on past this or is it on its last?

2. What are the service intervals and service costs like on these cars (not main dealer) , I am not worried about fuel costs as I only do about 30 miles a week although that may change if I buy an xj?

3. Do xjr'S have a chain or cam belt and if it is a belt how often do they recommend a change .

Any help and tips would be a big help.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
the 4.2 V8 is pretty bullet proof, I wouldn't worry about that mileage at all

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
as with pretty-much any vehicle, the mileage its done is irrelevant. I have two Range |Rover p38s - one with 70,000 miles and another with 270,000 miles. the higher mileage car is by far the better and "tighter" to drive.

Average mileage is 12,000 per year. significantly above or below that will give problems, as will a change in mileage per week.

X350s are easily upset, I would expect quite a few issues immediately if you're only going to be doing 30 miles a week. More use significantly improves the reliability

·
Registered
577 Posts
In answer to Neill's third question, the V8 models are all chain cam engines. The 2.7 diesel is the only belt driven model and requires a new belt at 10 years or 105K miles. The main service issue is proof of regular oil and filter changes (once a year or every 10K) to ensure long life. Of possible concern with a 13 year old XJR is whether the 'valley pipe' under the supercharger manifold has been changed. (see threads on here for age-related the problem)

Don't forget that the early XJR engines only develop 370 bhp, not the often quoted 400 in adverts. That only comes with the later models (not sure of year change) when the supercharged engine also got the same VVTs as the N/A engines for the inlet camshafts. (The VVTs are easy to spot if you know where to look)

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
BrianG, it was the older 4.0 X308 model that made 370bhp. The standard non VVT x350 makes 390-400 BHP stock, they can be tuned to 450 with the standard mods. The way I understand is the VVT models (2005.5 onwards) respond better to remaps and are better to tune.

·
Registered
7,903 Posts
2. What are the service intervals and service costs like on these cars (not main dealer) ,
gearbox service is at 70-80.000mls cost will be about £500
change the oil every 10-12.000mls or every 12 months
spark plugs are at 100.000mls
I change my air and pollen filters every 2 years but I only do 3.000ish miles a year and they don't look very dirty anyway

·
Banned
7,619 Posts
At 30 miles per week I would simply keep my money in my pocket , a totally pointless purchase , why would anyone do such
a thing apart from Investment Purposes . A quick glance at the Autotrader will show models well in advance of 120K , I think
both some service history and associated bills would be my first concern as well as buying something in standard spec , theres
nothing worse than suffering the consequences of someones ill advised modifications .

·
Registered
577 Posts
BrianG, it was the older 4.0 X308 model that made 370bhp. The standard non VVT x350 makes 390-400 BHP stock, they can be tuned to 450 with the standard mods. The way I understand is the VVT models (2005.5 onwards) respond better to remaps and are better to tune.
Alex, that's interesting. I must admit that I was only passing on info given by Mike Kennedy, the JEC X350 forum coordinator, who has done considerable tuning to his 2004 XJR. At least early ones wont have the potential problems of rattly VVT units.

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
There was an outfit callled 'Racing Green', who used to take them up to 450 bhp. In the early days that I was looking for an XJR, one came up for sale that had been owned by a rock star (not named). I haven't come across another one since.

·
Banned
7,619 Posts
Funny you mention Racing Green , a mate of mine got some performance upgrades for his XJR from there some time back ,
I can't remember how much the output increased nor the extent of his conversion , he definitely had their improved exhaust
system . Was there not another company called Arden who did similar ?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Yes there is, but very overpriced. You can buy/ have fabricated the parts elsewhere for a good saving. Mine is a good bit more than the factory figure, I would hope for around 450bhp at the crank... No regrets at all, very happy with the improvements made by myself and previous owner.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Buy an XJR
Even at 30 miles per week, it will the most comfortable, most amazing ride you will experience.
It will inspire you to go out for a 300 mile drive. You will not feel tired in the least.

Someone mentioned the cost of service etc and its pretty much on point.

I would suggest buying a CTEK charger and keeping it on charge if you aren't doing alot of mileage. This will prevent any gremlins.

If you buy an XJR, these are questions to ask or for you to resolve once you own it.

1. Gearbox oil changed or not? Mielage changed at etc. If not done, get it done.
2. Ground points cleaned etc or not. If not cleaned, get them cleaned up.
3. Battery changed or not? If not, hit up Tayna batteries and get a powerful one will cost about £110.
4. Take it for a long drive to ensure no engine light comes on.

Regards

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the advice. Think I am going to take the plunge. Been a jag fan for years ever since my uncle did a full restore of an e-type many years ago. I hope an XJR will reignite my love of driving.

·
Banned
7,619 Posts
Thanks for all the advice. Think I am going to take the plunge. Been a jag fan for years ever since my uncle did a full restore of an e-type many years ago. I hope an XJR will reignite my love of driving.
I think undoubtedly it will Neill , just don't expect it all to be plain sailing at that age and mileage . I am genuinely intrigued by this 30 miles a
week , that takes a lot of self control which is simply beyond me . Go out there take a look at the marketplace and come back and post what
you have found , its always worthwhile to hear the opinion and thoughts of others especially fellow owners . All the best

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Rediesel. I only do the 30 miles a week as I work from home and currently drive an old Kia shortage so get no enjoyment from driving. I think once I get a jaguar that will change.

Kapow. My last car was an old diesel range rover that in the year I had it had duff suspension. Radiator burst. Water pump failure and various electrical issues so I am used things going wrong but I hope the enjoyment or driving will make the pain worth while as it did with the range rover.

Thanks for the input. Am off to start looking now.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Buy an XJR
Even at 30 miles per week, it will the most comfortable, most amazing ride you will experience.
It will inspire you to go out for a 300 mile drive. You will not feel tired in the least.

Someone mentioned the cost of service etc and its pretty much on point.

I would suggest buying a CTEK charger and keeping it on charge if you aren't doing alot of mileage. This will prevent any gremlins.

If you buy an XJR, these are questions to ask or for you to resolve once you own it.

1. Gearbox oil changed or not? Mielage changed at etc. If not done, get it done.
2. Ground points cleaned etc or not. If not cleaned, get them cleaned up.
3. Battery changed or not? If not, hit up Tayna batteries and get a powerful one will cost about £110.
4. Take it for a long drive to ensure no engine light comes on.

Regards
Sage advice in my opinion. The X350 appears to be moving away from being transport and into a more enthusiast sector. Good news for those that have well looked after ones with small mileage's but are still content to pay the maintenance costs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well folks in the end I went for a 3 litre v6 2 owner 75k miles fsh. I have to say that the jag is by far the best car I have ever driven even though it is 13 years old and my 30 miles a week seems to have increased to 250 miles a week since I got it. thanks for all the advice.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
The 3 litre V6 petrol is the best option if you want the least trouble. It is the same engine as fitted to the S-type and is basically a Ford engine, but one of the best they make.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.