Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Few weeks ago I changed my fan motor from auto to Full, as soon as I did I sensed an odd odor, Not necessarily burning, almost like a steamy odor. I also noticed a bit of smoke, I could not tell exactly but it looked like it was raising up from an area outside just in front of the passenger door, I quickly switched it back to auto and everything was fine. So I have left the knob on auto until the other day, I turned the knob to Full and again the same thing except this time I think I must have blown a fuse because I have no fan at all now. Seems as thought the climate fan is not working anymore. Has anyone experienced this and what could have caused the smoke and odor?

· Administrator
10,099 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Thread moved to XK section.

Could be that you have the air con duckbill fault, putting water into the blower motor, causing smoke and the odour you mentioned.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did the duck bill fix last summer, a lot of moisture ran out so I am sure there was a build up for quite a while. But not at this point. Quite possible long term moisture could have damaged the motor. Everything was working fine in the auto mode, problems occurs when I turn the fan speed up too fast with the dial.

Is it tough to get to the fan to change out the motor, or at least take a look at it to see if there is ant damage to it. Also could it be the fan controller where would that part be located.

Is this beyond a diy project, or should it be an easy fix?

· Administrator
10,099 Posts
You can easily get to the blower motor it’s behind the glove box. Just remove the insulation underneath the glovebox and you’ll see the base of it with a multi plug connected to the side of it. Remove the Torx screws and it’ll drop out.

· Registered
83 Posts
I've just gone through this. In my case the fan was squealing. I removed the fan which is an easy job but take great care removing the insulation. There are three clips that hold it to the front of the base of the glove box; remove them carefully as the insulation is quite fragile. As Ian says there is one connector to remove and three torx screws one of which is recessed in a strengthening part of the motor housing. You will need to prise the impeller off the motor shaft, there is a small locking clip in the hub that you need to release, , I used two wide pieces of metal to prise it from the shaft. Finally you can prise the motor out of the plastic housing. My car is under warranty with Chiltern Jaguar and they sent me a new fan no argument. When I fitted the new fan it wouldn't run, so a trip to Chiltern and they changed the resistive speed controller which cured the problem. A coincidental failure or possibly an overload from a seizing fan. The motor had corroded as a result of a previous duck bill event. I'm afraid the motors are made by machine pressing parts together and there is little you can do to them except maybe freeing up the motor brushes. They could be arcing with the armature under high load, and hence the smoke and smell. I have to say that I was delighted with the response from Chiltern.
Hope that helps.

· Registered
169 Posts
Sounds like damage due to the duckbill problem. My previous XK suffered duckbill problems which I cleared few times but eventually the blower motor and resistor pack failed. I got lucky as my local indie had a spare secondhand set which saved quite a bit.

· Registered
83 Posts
Whilst I don't expect any further problems with mine, The cost of the whole resistor unit compared to the thermal fuse seemed ridiculous so I went looking and found the thermal fuse (EYP-2BN109) on the net at £3.30 for 10. Seemed silly not to have them in stock for that price so ordered and arrived this morning.
If any one in the UK has this problem, and can't find the fuse, and is confident doing the repair, please pm me and I'll send you one. BTW I got mine from RS components UK, their stock number 7127284.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.