Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Back again with another problem.

I have a 2008 2.0d with 110k on the clock.

So a little history before i get to the good bits. About 2 months ago on the motorway the glowplug light started flashing and then the car went into limp mode. A short while later the car cut out. Pulled over on to the hard shoulder and a quick restart and the car was fine. 1 month ago on my way home on the motorway the same thing happened but i just turned the ignition off and on and carried on. (don't recommend that on the motorway)

The next day the same thing happened. Glowplug light started flashing and limp mode and then it turned off. I had 20 miles left to get home and in that time the car did this about 7 times. But this time round even a slight press on the accelerator and the glow plug light would flash. I got back to my home town so i felt a little braver. When i planted my foot down at about 2,500rpm the car would judder.

Anyway took it to my regular mechanic and did a leak of test. Injector 3 was pretty bad so got it replaced by having my injector rebuilt by AGNG injectors and pumps in Bicester who have the delphi equipment. Same problem on the car.

So i have ordered a new fuel pressure sensor and advised the mechanic to replace the fuel filter with a Bosch or Delphi one. My current fuel filter has done about 20k and was a Mann filter.

The code i have is P0251. The first time it happened i got this code along with P0401 however that only happened once although my EGR is blanked anyway.

When the fuel filter gets replaced will look out for metal in it. What else could it be? i have had a look around the forum for the P0251 but doesn't seem to be clear cut as to what the problem could be.

I have checked the turbo arm and actuator and they are all fine. What should i be looking for on live data in terms of fuel rail pressure.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the garage did the leak off test (no photos available) but he said only one injector was a problem injector which we have replaced with a recon part. Then this was coded onto the car but it made no difference.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Look, it's not unknown for so- called refurbed parts to be dodgy... buy yourself a leakoff test kit and conduct your own leakoff test, that way you know and we know first hand what the results are. You can make up your own diy kit from parts bought on ebay or a full kit for around £30.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Ok will give that a good. Why do some of the samples on your image vary in colour???
Hi, dunno, plucked that image and info from talkford forum. Sometimes engine oil gets in with the fuel but that's a different problem. You either need to buy ebay item
Screenshot_2022-06-22-16-23-26-713_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

I bought just one and did the test on each injector in turn or buy 4 and do them all at once. You also need some aquarium air tubing and some bottles, pref. with graduations, tho' I bought a hamster water bottle and took the ball bearing out of the spout. If you do buy one of the kits on ebay, then you must have the one that contains 4 of those blue connectors as the cheaper ones don't.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Look, it's not unknown for so- called refurbed parts to be dodgy... buy yourself a leakoff test kit and conduct your own leakoff test, that way you know and we know first hand what the results are. You can make up your own diy kit from parts bought on ebay or a full kit for around £30.
To true the reconditioned one I fitted a few years back wasn't even put together right caused me all sorts of problems, it's a miracle engine didn't seize up as it was dumping that much diesel in it replaced the oil, just because its been reconditioned doesn't mean its right

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
So did the four recons I bought from Dieselfixneuss in Germany - proper Bosh testing reports and new calibration numbers too.
At least 2/4 were terrible, knocking and leaking so bad they stopped the engine, had to put the old ones back in! With postage and fees and exchange only got about 70% of the money back.

Reactions: nicam49 and Nick78

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So the mechanic replaced the fuel filter with a Bosch one, replaced fuel pressure sensor and IMV but now he is saying the car is worst then it is before.

Hes now going back and putting original back in (not fuel filter) to see where the problem lies.

·
Registered
638 Posts
So the mechanic replaced the fuel filter with a Bosch one, replaced fuel pressure sensor and IMV but now he is saying the car is worst then it is before.

Hes now going back and putting original back in (not fuel filter) to see where the problem lies.
Where did you get the IMV from I brought a supposedly genuine delphi one off fleabay , it didn't work put car in limp mode every hundred yards had to refit old one until I got a proper one .

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Me again... so where do i start....

i sourced a 2nd hand fuel pump and the garage replaced that along with all 4 injectors

After having the car since June the garage has finally got it started but he said the car starts and then cuts out after a few seconds. He reckons with all the trying to start it that the cam chain has skipped a tooth however I am not so convinced.

What could be the potentially issue and where is the first place to look. Hes confident that fuel is going to the injectors so seems sure its not a fueling issue.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Once it cuts out, does it restart easily?. If not, what has to be done to restart it?
While it's running, is it possible to rev the engine easily?
Any smoke? If yes, what colour?
Are there any codes after it cuts out? EML light on or flashing? - same for glowplug light.
If your garage man has a professional/half decent code reader, get him to disconnect the electrical connectors to IMV and all 4 injectors, then monitor fuel rail pressure while cranking for max 30 secs. If fuel system good should achieve MINIMUM 1000 Bar.
And here's a GOOD tip from Mr X-files forum member: it's been known for Bosch fuel filters' drain taps (on the bottom of the filter) to need tightening up else they let in air to the fuel system, which results in cutting out (well worth checking, I'd say)

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Have you done a swarf check, sounds like a classic case. P0251 is the code of diesel pump death. Take a sample from the return line, put it in a black aerosol cap and shine a bright light in. Sparkles = dead car.
NB looking in the filter or anything else is a waste of time. The frag hangs out in the common rail ready to kill whatever new part you put in the fuel system.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts