2009 XF CarPlay kit

SaculM

Reaction score
Hi has anyone installed a carplay kit into an X250 circa 2009.
I have seen some upgrades on the forum but I've no idea which system is currently installed in my XF - how do you tell?

If you have upgraded the your system what did you put in and where did you get it from.
Desperate to add android (need waze/spotify) and don't really want to use my phone although that's what I'm currently doing but the sound only comes from the phone not the speakers except for phone calls.

Amrit

Reaction score
Hi has anyone installed a carplay kit into an X250 circa 2009.
I have seen some upgrades on the forum but I've no idea which system is currently installed in my XF - how do you tell?

If you have upgraded the your system what did you put in and where did you get it from.
Desperate to add android (need waze/spotify) and don't really want to use my phone although that's what I'm currently doing but the sound only comes from the phone not the speakers except for phone calls.
on the pre-facelift models the unit is the Denso unit. None of the carplay units you've seen working on the facelifted model work on the pre-facelift.

You can buy some AA/Carplay units from AliExpress for the pre-facelift model but you have to switch out your OEM unit completely and apparently the units don't work that well.

There's some detailed threads on this here - 2nd link is specifically about the pre-facelift model:

AntF

Reaction score
If you have an iPod socket you can connect to that via Bluetooth with a Bovee 1000 adapter that will play music or satnav directions from a phone through the speakers or go through the Aux port. As mentioned, it isn't currently easy to change the head unit but there are rumours of one being developed.

SaculM

Reaction score
Hi AntF
Thanks for the heads up.

Do you know if the Bovee 1000 adapter charges in the iPod socket. When I plugged my iPod in it lit up with the jaguar logo, but then said that it did not support charging the device, so on a 4 hour drive it went flat.

I have an iPod socket and Aux and USB.
I was surprised that the phone Bluetooth connection did not extend to phone apps it purely phone and phone-book.
I have purchased a mobile wifi hub which allows the kids to play with their tablets in the car, 20Gb data from BT was just a £5 month as a BT user.
I have also purchased a bluetooth dongle with an aux jack on it to plug into the car.
So currently I am now able to use my phone to run Waze and internet music.

Unless there is a fully integrated system - too many bugs around the facelift carplay kit from what I can see, I'm going to dig out an old 7" tablet and use that. I just need to find a way of fitting it on the dash without ruining it and running a power/audio lead to it. My local car audio shop may be able to help there. I'm not one to start taking my dash apart, if I break something i'll just cry....

My old BMW was a Y reg and was very easy to take apart, this looks much more complicated - I could be wrong.

Last edited:

AntF

Reaction score
Hi, I have a pre facelift XF 2011 and the Bovee powers from the iPod lead. I think the pin layout changed on iPods, so some take power differently. I had an iPod Nano that worked fine as well - maybe your iPod is newer? I have been following a few threads on updated head units and screens (facelift) and they seem to be pretty mixed. Some have no instructions or make some functions not operate, so are still work in progress with buyers doing the testing.

I have a really neat phone holder that sits in the front console cubby and takes power from the socket in there. With the phone out the lid will close and all is hidden. A guy on one of the forums 3d printed it to my phone and it fits perfectly. Problem with a tablet is positioning it and not obscuring the controls on the screen or buttons but getting power to it should be easy. I have a dashcam plugged into the armrest socket with the cable going out through the bottom an along the underside of the centre console. This can be done without taking anything apart except maybe the block in the armrest that has the plugs. This pulls up slightly and allows you to file a small hole to allow the power cable to pass through and into the void underneath. Cable is then tucked under the console and in my case, along the underside of the dash and up the A pillar.

As old as the satnav is, I like the turn instructions that appear between the clocks - this still looks pretty sharp, unlike the maps.

With an iPhone, the Bovee will give track info on the head unit I am told, but not with Android. But steering wheel buttons all work OK. They are a bit expensive though compared to a BT adapter but don't take up a power socket like some. Later models of XF can BT music and calls - we got the earlier version that only does calls.

SaculM

Reaction score
Hi @AntF

Do you have a link to the really neat phone holder that sits in the front console cubby?
I would be interested to see it or if you still have the guys details.

I agree the satnav turns are good. I need to either purchase a more up-to-date set of maps or use Waze.
I like Waze though as it's user-led and warns of Police and speed cameras both of which I will probably fall foul of at some point albeit accidentally. I generally don't have a heavy foot but the cat is so quiet and solid that you really don't feel the speed until you look...:rolleyes:
I'm an Android user, I gave up on Apple after they insist on selling overpriced electronics that are un-updateable after a few years - my experience.
After buying the first iPad and iPod touch both are now paperweights :ROFLMAO:
I could probably pick up a fairly cheap iPhone4 which I think still works with iTunes and if Waze and VR Radio are on iTunes then I'm all set.
I can use my in-car wi-fi mini-hub to send the maps and radio to the iPhone unless the iPhone insists that there is a sim in it to work.
This is a work in progress - so I'm open to all ideas at the moment with no reason to run into anything.

The two iPods in the house - neither charge from the iPod socket; My Gen1 iPod touch and a much more recent iPod
I also have a Jaguar iPod lead with a lightning plug but that has not been tested yet, just waiting for one of the kids to ask to charge their phone to see what happens.

My BT adapter needs to use the power and Jack plug so I hear what you are saying.

AntF

Reaction score
Hi, I am with you on iPhones. I use Macs over PCs but am on Android since I stopped using my iPhone 4 some years ago. I think working out what iPods were around at time car was built would help compatibility or I am sure there are websites documenting the Apple 30pin connector history, and it's different incarnations.

This is the guy I bought from - I think I bought through eBay but same guy was on the forum. Price is good and he sent it back really quickly. I also saw where someone had put a mount inside the lid of the front cubby, but I think a magnet on the phone or case would be needed, which I didn't fancy doing.

Forgot to add, you need a right angle USB lead and a short 12v socket adapter - the guy making these recommended 2 products that would work and saved a lot of trial and error. I can check what I bought if you need the info. If too tall the lid won't close.

Last edited:

c15htn

Reaction score
Hi, I am with you on iPhones. I use Macs over PCs but am on Android since I stopped using my iPhone 4 some years ago. I think working out what iPods were around at time car was built would help compatibility or I am sure there are websites documenting the Apple 30pin connector history, and it's different incarnations.

This is the guy I bought from - I think I bought through eBay but same guy was on the forum. Price is good and he sent it back really quickly. I also saw where someone had put a mount inside the lid of the front cubby, but I think a magnet on the phone or case would be needed, which I didn't fancy doing.

Forgot to add, you need a right angle USB lead and a short 12v socket adapter - the guy making these recommended 2 products that would work and saved a lot of trial and error. I can check what I bought if you need the info. If too tall the lid won't close.

I'll definitely be looking into that - any ideas if the facelift cubby would fit the 2009 car? As I'd rather have the power socket there than run one from the armrest

Jim

AntF

Reaction score
Don't you have a power socket in the front cubby at all? I know they offered a 'smoker's pack" with a lighter and ashtray insert, but thought they all had a socket. I have a 2011 Portfolio (prefacelift) and it has a socket. Maybe the wiring is there already to connect to?

c15htn

Reaction score
Don't you have a power socket in the front cubby at all? I know they offered a 'smoker's pack" with a lighter and ashtray insert, but thought they all had a socket. I have a 2011 Portfolio (prefacelift) and it has a socket. Maybe the wiring is there already to connect to?
Earlier cars had a cup holder and nothing else in the front cubby - once I get my head around dismantling the console I'll see if there's a socket I can plug into - if there was an option I'd guess there may well be one.

Jim