Jaguar Forum banner

225 55 16 Rims Question

4K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  mrmut 
#1 ·
I am in position to buy 16" set of rims from S-Type, tire dimensions 225 55 16.

Can someone please confirm if these rims would fit on my X-Type (is there enough space, etc), and if they are correct dimensions. The difference between these and normal (202) 16" are 6.5j vs 7j.

Picture:

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The offsets are different but this can be corrected by hub spacers (5mm IIRC, perhaps 10mm). Apart from that they will fit fine.

#6 ·
5mm spacers.

#7 ·
Is the tire size correct 225 55 16 for these rims on X-Type? Did I calculated correctly that there will be about 7% dimension error (bigger size)?

Under what term to search for spacers on eBay?

#8 ·
225 55 16 is virtually the same as 225 45 17 which is a standard x type size .
Search for alloy wheel spacers.

#9 ·
OK, I have found some. Do I need to get different screws, or anything else?

And what about stiffness? Should I be worried about it.

Why do I need spacers at all? The difference is 7.5mm in rim offset, that doesn't look like something signicirant to me. (I apologize for ignorance in advance.)

#10 ·
Why do I need spacers at all? The difference is 7.5mm in rim offset, that doesn't look like something signicirant to me. (I apologize for ignorance in advance.)
Two reasons:

Without spacers the wheels probably will not clear the front calipers.

The S-Type wheels have a high offset (about 60 mm). The correct offset (ET) for the car design makes sure that the car runs true and loads the bearings, etc. optimally. You could put lower offset wheels on a car to increase the track and make it look "beefier" but it makes a mess of the way the steering feels and responds. Been there with winter wheel purchases where I did not consider the ET match and was mighty pleased when I swapped those wheels back for ones with the correct ET. I would get spacers that make up the difference in the offset (or buy X-Type wheels).

#12 ·
You're welcome.

#16 ·
Yes, but they also improved production quality and generally changed reliability to (dramatically) better, not to mention that they made an affordable Jaguar: the X-Type we all love.

(And also an S-Type, which is a brilliant, but misunderstood car.)

#17 ·
No arguments from me of those points.

#18 ·
Aren't a lot of the suspension, brake and wheel components quite related again these days since the introduction of the X202, X350, X250, X150 ... Many parts seem to be interchangeable between similar power/weight versions and wheel offsets seem in a similar ballpark too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.