2nd time a Dunlop Sportmaxx has split on me

Tink

Reaction score
Few months ago came out to car and offside front tyre was flat, gone down in the night. Took to local tyre fitters and had replacement fitted

Saturday just got to Chesterfield had litterally pulled into a filling station for my son to use the loo, while I was parked up waiting the tyre pressure sensor activates and tells me need air. Got out looked at tyre and its on the way down, had to move the car about 20yds to the air line. filled tyre with air and off we go was only a mile from destination

Pulled up to destination and off goes the warning again. Think to myself oh Bullocks glad I got a space saver.

Whip wheel off look at the tyre and is all split on the inside shoulder

would put pics on if I knew how to.

New tyre needed, was 5pm local tyre place didnt have any Dunlops my size in stock so was a 3hr drive back at under 50mph on space saver tyre

Not impressed with these dunlops at all

JimC64

Reaction score
Look into this further and consider contacting Dunlop

I seem to recall an issue like this with certain tyres, can't honestly remember if it was Dunlop or not though to be fair

Jim

Litho

Reaction score
No surprise to me, Tink. Had a similar disintegration with a Dunlop on my XFR in the summer. That's why I have 4 budget tyres waiting when these are worn out that came with the car. No comments, please. I had this out on the X350 section some years ago. I used budgets for 6 years on my then X358 XJR and found them as good as those costing three times more.

jberks

Reaction score
I would have the tyre sent back to Dunlop for examination. They can’t claim it was under inflated if you have tpms so the only explanation I an think of is they’re not standing up to speed bumps well enough.

Poundy

Reaction score
I personally know 3 drivers who have had the same problem, so when I managed to find a full size spare for my car instead of the glue lol, I put a Goodyear Eagle FI Asymmetric on it. When the current fitted dunlops need replacing in about 3mm time I will change to the same. I have been a big fan of the FI since having had them on the SL. Hard to believe Dunlop do not seem to want to acknowledge the problem.

Tink

Reaction score
Well since my other 3 tyres on the car are Dunlops and the one on the offside front is a nearly new dunlop I have opted to put another one on the front.

Was considering binning the newish front dunlop and put a matching pair on the front but cant see point in binning a 3 month old tyre for sake of it (hoping that it may be down to a faulty batch)

Once the pair on the rear are shot ( they were put on in April ) I shall change them to Conti's or Good Year and then when the front pair go I will match then to the rears

X-type_Bobstar

Reaction score
I'm on my second pair of Dunlop Sport Maxx J's and havent had any issues. There are known problems and I think Jaguar dealerships are replacing the dodgy tyres, they get sent to Dunlop for investigation and you should be reimbursed. I don't know if you are in a position to send off the dodgy tyre or get in touch with Dunlop direct? Doesn't do their brand name any favours.

jberks

Reaction score
I'm not excusing Dunlop as the tyres should stand up to the abuse but all reports of tyres splitting are always on 35profile 20" wheels and always on the inside edge.
This is text book speed hump damage. If it were defective manufacture, the outside edge would feature. It never does. Most of us try to straddle bumps at the appropriate speed limit, hitting it only with the inside 1/4 of the tyre and putting all the cars weight onto the inside edge of the tyre, compressing and crushing it between the bump and the rim. That's what's causing the damage. Hit the bump straight across the centre, or avoid them and you'll likely not have a problem with the tyre (your suspension springs are another matter). Unfortunately where you live will have a large effect. There are no bumps on my route home but the next village is plagued with them. So if I lived there, I suspect I'd be on here complaining about tyre splits. As it is, I have to go through from time to time, though I will happily drive further to avoid it, so I had a watch-warning of a slight split on the last MOT.
The problem from Dunlop's perspective is that if they make the sidewall stronger, it will make the ride harsher and noisier. Equally, in countries without this plague of moronic speed control, there'd be no need and the tyre would be the wrong spec.
Not sure what the answer is, aside from us banding together, proving these bumps, if taken at a legal speed cause massive damage, and making them illegal. To my mind, anything deliberately placed on the road, that damages the car of a law abiding motorist, should be classed as criminal damage. Speed humps should only cause a problem if crossed at a higher speed than permitted. Clearly this is not the case. Perhaps a claim against the council?