Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just collected a set of NGK TR6AP-13E plugs and although they are listed as suitable for the 3.0 V6, I'm not convinced they are correct. The thread is around 5mm longer and the ceramic body is about 3mm longer than the Motorcraft AWSF22FS plugs that I've taken out of the car.

What plugs do you use in your car?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I've just collected a set of NGK TR6AP-13E plugs and although they are listed as suitable for the 3.0 V6, I'm not convinced they are correct. The thread is around 5mm longer and the ceramic body is about 3mm longer than the Motorcraft AWSF22FS plugs that I've taken out of the car.

What plugs do you use in your car?
Jaguar part No. is C2S546895

I fitted Denso T20TT #4 Resistor

Gap 1.35 mm.

Good luck....................................IP

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
598 Posts
Thanks, that confirms my information that it is Jaguar p/no C2S 46895. Further Goggling suggests that if you order that number, you actually get NGK TR6AP-13E plugs in a nice Jaguar box: http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.p...13e___v6_3_0l___jaguar___xj_range___xf_range_

Can anyone confirm this from experience?
I got these NGK in the nice Jag box. Are these pre-gapped? I measured them and are 1.2mm.
Before I replace the inlet manifold over them just want to make sure 1.2mm is ok.

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
That's huge, 1.2mm is 47 thou, 1.3mm is 51 thou!!?

I never owned a car which had such a big gap, mine were all set to 25 thou (0.025 inch, 0.635mm) over all my many years using a proper metal feeler guage.

Do you have a 1.2mm or 1.3mm guage?

Look and see how big that is. It's double what it should be.

See the NGK Data Sheet, it doesn't have the S Type gaps but it does have other Jaguar models and hundreds of other cars:

http://www.ngkntk.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/spark-and-glow-cat-2015.pdf

Why should this engine (Ford AJ6) be so different?

Big gaps can (will) eventually cause misfires and may cause coils to fail too.

Once they are bolted in you'll have to open it all up again.

Triple check first.

·
Registered
598 Posts
That's huge, 1.2mm is 47 thou, 1.3mm is 51 thou!!?

I never owned a car which had such a big gap, mine were all set to 25 thou (0.025 inch, 0.635mm) over all my many years using a proper metal feeler guage.

Do you have a 1.2mm or 1.3mm guage?

Look and see how big that is. It's double what it should be.

See the NGK Data Sheet, it doesn't have the S Type gaps but it does have other Jaguar models and hundreds of other cars.

Why should this engine (Ford AJ6) be so different?

Big gaps can (will) eventually cause misfires and may cause coils to fail too.

Once they are bolted in you'll have to open it all up again.

Triple check first.

yes I have a guage and measure them at 1.2.
The old ones which I haven't measured yet seem to be about 1.3 at least with the wear. No issues with those.

But these are Jag plugs and are pre-gapped I thought.
0.635mm seems so small

Oirginal parts from Jag:
C2S46895

Now I need to triple check while I still have acces to them.

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
Are they iridium perhaps?

Those are preset.

There's a warning in the Denso plug catalog:

http://www.globaldenso.com/en/products/aftermarket/plug/catalog/asia/pdf/pdfcatalog_all.pdf

Quote:
Adjustment of the plug gap

●If the center electrode becomes rounded or the grounding electrode wears unevenly, replace the plug with a new one.

●Do not adjust the gap of a plug that has a thin electrode, such as a platinum plug or an iridium plug, because this may result in damage to the center electrode.
We learn something every day.

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
Usually Plug Manufacturers including NGK have the pregapped size in the part number.

Doug.
So is that the -13E in this case Doug?

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
These are the OEM type for the AJV6- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-...268236&hash=item3621d92801:g:mPgAAOxyEilSVSEr

There are various Iridium ones from Denso / NGK etc , I have these in my ST220 , done over 100k

The ones I took out at nearly 80k were still in good order , much better than the olden days :)
The seller says "Genuine OEM".

There is 1 review, giving 1 star, the buyer says "Not genuine"!

Well!!??

Would I buy from that seller? No.

But...

How can a spark plug be a copy/fake?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.