Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's r11co the paranoid andriod here!

Back after 7 years and 4 months because I've just paid a deposit on what claims to be a 2010 "XF 3.0d V6 S Portfolio". It's a bit of a timewarp car as it has only 7,100 miles on it, testament to this being when I test-drove it today it produced a genuinely 'new car' smell from the air vents while I was trying out the climate control!

So why paranoid? Because I am wanting to check I am actually buying what it says on the tin.

One big distinguisher of Portfolio spec in 2010 models is the audio system, so should the fact that the touch-screen has an option for Dolby Pro-Logic II surround mean that the super-duper 440w B&W is in there?

Also, anyone can stick an S badge on the back of a car, but that the car felt significantly more rapid than my outgoing BMW 330i kinda re-assures me that there is 270-or-so BHP under the bonnet, but I'd still like to know if there are any markings or bits I should look for to confirm this.

Thanks in advance!

PS. I have the VIN if that can be checked for veracity (and ultimately I should just relax as it is a reputable dealership I am buying from).

PPS. Hello again everyone - it's nice to be back.

·
Premium Member
6,564 Posts
Have you run the registration number through the MOT history checker website?

does the service history stack up with the mileage on the car?

Can you get hold of the previous owners details and if so give them a ring?

Rich

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you run the registration number through the MOT history checker website?
Yes!

Two fails for having no water in the windscreen washers (plus a dirty front number plate!)

does the service history stack up with the mileage on the car?
Yup.

Can you get hold of the previous owners details and if so give them a ring?
Haven't seen the V5 so no, but all previous MOTs bar one were done at the same garage. The one that wasn't was conducted by the selling dealer.

Under the vin number in the windscreen I think there will be the letters PF indicating it is a portfolio
Eaxctly the sort of info I needed! Thanks for this. I pass the dealer daily on my commute so easy to pop in and check this.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Put the reg into we buy any car website. It well tell you the exact model. Just checked it with mine and it shows its an S. Does it have the sports seats? These came as standard in the S sometime in 2010.

·
Super Moderator
6,472 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You could sign up for a basic JLR topix account which will give you the full spec of the original car (often with one or two errors!):

https://topix.jaguar.jlrext.com/topix/user/createForm
Nice one! Pretty much matches with my expectations.

It occurred to me after I'd already paid the deposit that the car has the Aero pack fitted with the flared side skirts, plus the LED DRL's in the front blades were specced as an extra. Pretty expensive add-ons from the factory as far as I can gather!

·
Super Moderator
6,472 Posts
It occurred to me after I'd already paid the deposit that the car has the Aero pack fitted with the flared side skirts, plus the LED DRL's in the front blades were specced as an extra. Pretty expensive add-ons from the factory as far as I can gather!
It is nice when you stumble upon a car that was originally almost "over-speced" and most of the options have a negligible effect on the used buy price :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi r11co, Ive just done the same thing,bought a 61 plate with 7000 miles on the clock. You need to do your homework before parting with the funds, Check the registration book, phone Jaguar customer services and get the model confirmed ie build spec etc, and if possible speak to the previous owner (not always easy but worth a try) Then if it all stacks up pay for it and enjoy. There far better than a Beemer Good Luck

·
Premium Member
6,564 Posts
Have we had a comprehensive car check done on the car?

If you have and that stacks up then you've hit a home run on this one.

Don't know what else you can do, so enjoy :-D

PS.

7000 miles in 7 years, this could be an ex government car, it'll be interesting to hear of its history when you get it.

·
Premium Member
6,564 Posts
Strange you should say that, mine is
It's the only car I can think of in the UK that might not get that much use.

10 Downing Street to the Houses of Parliament is nothing but a short walk, but they still get chauffeured.

So the question is, who's been doing what in your car ;-)

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've put the VIN through TOPIX and the car is definitely what it claims to be engine and spec-wise, plus as I said the original owner ticked a lot of the options boxes on the configurator (I suspect he or she was talked into them by the salesman).

I've examined the car itself with a fine-toothed comb and it is truly immaculate with no signs of the miles being wound-back. There are lots of tricks that can be performed to 'de-age' a car but one tell-tale I always spot is that very few people will go to the trouble of replacing a windscreen. This one has its original date-code on and has no sweep-marks from years of wiper use.

The only worries now are any deterioated components such as brake-discs due to lack of use, but the surfaces were unpitted after the test-drive and the brakes were sharp and true. I suspect this car has been stored indoors when not in use as the underside is as flawless as the visible parts of the body.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
My main worry would be that on such a low mileage car the DPF regen process may rarely or never have worked properly.
We all know that the 3.0D needs a good "Italian tune-up" every couple of weeks or so to keep the DPF happy.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I gave it a good test-drive and there were no 'reduced performance' notices or indications of any issues. DPF's are a worry for sure but I'm prepared for that.

TBH I don't think the car was used for lots of short journeys - the MOT history suggests that it wasn't used very much at all!!

PS. The car also seems to have had a new battery fitted, which is re-assuring.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.