Jaguar Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Yep, that’s the oil spec for mine and the listing on ECP specifically shows the Shell oil as being compliant (that JLR spec is listed on the product specs). You think it’s wrong, how would I confirm with them?
I suspect thats fine, as long as it has the correct ST JLR number on. CHeck bottle on arrival as jberks suggested :).

Its ECP's lookup that is dodgy, as in it often thinks that a car takes a completely different kind of oil to what it should take. I suspect their lookup database is Amercian, and suggests oils for US spec cars, which often don't have all the stupid, pointless crap that EU cars have to suffer, like DPFs and Pigs Piss...

·
Premium Member
2,154 Posts
haha … i got the message across in 2 lines what you took half a page over. :p
Yep, and you could have saved youself those two lines!

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
So when it arrives, just double check it has that ST JLR code on the bottle somewhere.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
All done, 30 minutes start to finish (warm oil drained in about 5 minutes with the pump). Oil service light reset no problem.

Only issue I found is main dealer must have snapped off the engine cover securing pip nearest the oil filter at some point in the past (it’s only ever been to them and I’ve never removed the cover until today so defo not me) 😡

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Excellent news, think how much you've saved!

And you have had a tiny insight into how a franchised dealer treats your car. Although there is a blanked off lug on the cover which might be that corner. There should be 4 lugs in total, although at first glance it looks like there should be 5

Never bothered checking how the lug fits to engine, but must be replacable.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
There should be 4 lugs in total, although at first glance it looks like there should be 5
Never bothered checking how the lug fits to engine, but must be replacable.
Only 3 lugs remaining, the ‘socket’ is still fitted to the cover (but looks like a chunk of moulding has been snapped off) but there’s no ‘plug’ on the engine bracket where it should be.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Only 3 lugs remaining, the ‘socket’ is still fitted to the cover (but looks like a chunk of moulding has been snapped off) but there’s no ‘plug’ on the engine bracket where it should be.
Anyone able to post a photo showing what I’m missing from the top of the engine for #4 please? Looks like there’s a plastic bracket but can’t picture how the plug would protrude from it🤔

·
Registered
360 Posts
Trouble is, no oil manufacturer actually makes an oil that lasts longer than about 7k in turbocharged engines (no matter what the marketing says), and this is further reduced in diesels due to particulate contamination. In extreme cases, you can actually even feel the grittiness of the oil.

Now I know the engine engineers will say a really low figure between oil changes, but they will always get overriden by the marketting team, who need to extend this out to give the (particularly fleet) sales teams a chance. Its gets extended to the max, where its believed that engine failures will be under a threshold (often in the region of 0.5 - 2%) in the first 60 - 100k, depending on the warranty, and the curve of the failure rate.

Knowing that, my own mechanical sympathy, plus the fact its chain driven, means I couldn't leave oil changes for even a quarter of what the service schedule states.

But its a personal choice we can all make, shame its, for many, done with a belief that the stated schedule is the best.
The durability of any OEM per spec approved engine oil is determined by the OEM, not marketing team of oil company and each oil manufacturer who wants to have a seal of OEM approval for some oil per OEM specification has to go through and pass rigorous testing procedures determined by the OEM before such approval is granted for that oil mixture only.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
But the (car) manufacturer's marketing department comes up with the service schedule, not the design engineers ;)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Many thanks for the photos, looks exactly same as mine so I owe the dealer an apology. I’d missed the one centre left. The one I thought was missing is where I’m pointing on the photos (although on closer inspection the socket on the cover in that position is different🤦‍♂️)

Attachments

·
Registered
360 Posts
But the (car) manufacturer's marketing department comes up with the service schedule, not the design engineers ;)
OEM marketing team comes up with the service schedule per engine type and gives a task to their own design and lube teams to design and make such engine, so design engineers are heavily involved in process 😉

41 - 58 of 58 Posts