Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
Hi Dana

Not sure I'll be able to help but, could you give a little more detail please.

Does the fault occur when you select a certain mode e.g. cd player? if so have you checked the connection to the cd player in the boot?

Thanks
Rob

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Rob,
Thanks for taking an interest in my Inquiry.
The radio will function intermittently. Sometimes it will work when selecting the radio function but will not issue any sound for a time. When in CD mode, it will playback one or more CDs, then no sound, with the message NOT CONT. I've checked all of the connections both at the radio and in the boot. No Joy. Doing a bit more research, I found a post from a fellow in the Netherlands who had a similar problem in his X300. He found a Surface Mount Device that hadn't been fully soldered to the circuit board.

He was using an Oscilloscope to trace the "handshake circuit" and as he probed, he found the bad connection. Based on that information, I took a deeper dive and started poking around the SMD components within my unit. When I removed the cassette mechanism, I popped on my Jeweler's magnifier and found 470 uF capacitor with one leg showing what looked like soot around the bottom of the capacitor cylinder. It appears that one leg burned away at the device's base allowing an intermittent connection. I've ordered a new capacitor and it will arrive at the end of the week. Once in hand, I'll perform the delicate surgery and replace that semiconductor. Hopefully I'll have success without damaging the printed circuit foil in the process.

I had to take these extreme measures because United Radio Services in Syracuse NY will no longer service the model AJ9250W ( Jag DAC7614 ) due to the lack of available parts. Still, this points to the value of the Web when in need of help. It's all a bit of a process to try to keep these older Jaguars on the road. I could resort to taking the vehicle to have an aftermarket unit installed, but then that would affect the originality of the car.

So I thank you once again for taking an interest in my dilemma and will post when I have success or failure.

Dana

· Registered
60 Posts
Hi Dana

Sounds like you have it in hand, will be interested to hear how you get on.

When I took my radio to pieces (LCD had no back lighting) there was nothing so obvious as your capacitor. Fingers crossed this solves your issues.

Best of luck
Rob

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some success, on to the next issue

Hi Dana

Sounds like you have it in hand, will be interested to hear how you get on.

When I took my radio to pieces (LCD had no back lighting) there was nothing so obvious as your capacitor. Fingers crossed this solves your issues.

Best of luck
Rob
Hi Rob,
This took longer to resolve than I expected, mainly because the first capacitor that was shipped, arrived "flattened" by automated postal handling machines.
Frankly the vendor admitted to using the bubble wrap envelope and re-shipped another in a cardboard box. Still quite a delay. I spent more on tools to fix this than a new head unit from Crutchfield, but at least I've maintained the car's original equipment. As you know, poking around a circuit board with heat can be risky, but I somehow managed to pull it off. I have SOUND and can switch between CD / FM / WB /Cassette.

My next project with this car will be to deal with intermittent tail and dash lights. It isn't clear whether it's in the stalk switch, one of the lamp failure modules, or the "master" lighting module or relays. The Lamp failure light isn't consistent, and sometimes the lights will come on of their own volition so it will be daunting to pinpoint the cause. It looks like I'm going to have to go through the steps sequentially, starting with the bulbs and grounds, then progressing through each step till I find a likely repeat offender. I think these cars are way too technical electrically but I guess that's what makes a British car so confounding. I can't imagine what it might be like to work on an Aston Martin Lagonda.

The weather here in New Hampshire is not conducive to garage work, where it takes a few hours to raise the temperature to comfortable, and all the "toys" are stored under cover. I'll just let things be for the time being until March or April. My MGBs and Triumphs are pretty forgiving, where the Jag takes a lot more research and technical ability. I can spend the winter rest period "researching" issues, studying electrical diagrams, and sourcing replacement parts. If this coupe wasn't such a beauty and a thrill to drive, I'd have to give up or give in, but I did buy this for the challenge and chance to improve my skills.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year,
Dana

· Registered
60 Posts
Hi Dana

Thanks for posting a conclusion. Always frustrates me when you read a post and never see the solution. That sounds, dispite the hiccups like an overwhelming success!! and on the plus side you now have some additional tools which I'm sure will come in handy down the line.

As for the lighting issues, the fact that its both dash and exterior lights, I would definitely be checking all the grounds first and make sure they're all clean.

Much like yourself, I look at my car (currently daily driver) as a constant work in progress and a teaching tool.

Have a great Christmas and New Year!

Rob

· Registered
1 Posts
On the dash/rear light issue - this is usually a relay problem. Check the relays in the engine bay on the left fender. The owners manual will tell you which one to look at. I took the top off the relay and cleaned the contacts with some fine emery paper and all was well.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Stuizzy, I'll check that out.
Sorry for the late reply. The Holidays became a priority. Extreme cold in the Northeast has kept me out of the garage, except for snowblower and tractor repairs.
I' can still review the manuals inside where it's warmand check out the relay locations and wiring diagrams. Hope all is well with you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.