Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well yesterday I had to say farewell to my X Type after nearly 12 years of ownership and total mileage of 191000. I am usually quite dispassionate about my cars and when its time for them to go thats it but with the X Type it was different and watching it drive away yesterday was quite sad and I will definitley miss the old girl. I didn't get much for it as old X Type's don't have much value but I got what I had hoped and it sold within a couple of days. Some one locally has brought it and I hope it will given him good service, think its gone to a good home.

Its been a brilliant car and given us great service and has taken us to many parts of the country north/south/east/west. Over the years it coped with all sorts of weather, snow occassionaly, the floods of 2007 and the occassional heat wave - fairly rare I know. Whatever the weather the X Type just took it in its stride and always got me where I needed to go.

Its been amazingly reliable, in the all years I owned it, it let me down just once and that was just a perished heater pipe that was fixed the next day. It always sailed through its MOTs with few advisorys, had it MOT.d 2 weeks ago and despite being 15 years old with nearly 200K on the clock it passed with just one advisory - my X Type just wouldn't give up! Apart from the usual service items, a few 02 sensors and a fuel pump I haven't had to spend much on repairs - have to say the petrol engines are pretty bulletproof.

This was our first Jaguar and although it was only the entry model with the 2.1 engine it had a way of making us feel special which Jags are so good at. I always loved the style I thing Jag did a great job of making a scaled down XJ when they brought it out and I have had many admiring comments over the years. It always scrubbed well and even when I came to sell it, it still looked pretty good with a wash and polish - think that's was what impressed the guy who brought it.

I'm still in the Jaguar fold as I brought an XF 18 months back but have kept the X Type as my daily workhorse for commuiting to work up till now. However as I have recently retired I just couldn't justify keeping two Jags and it was time for the X Type to go - sadly! So the end of pretty happy relationship with an X Type for me and my view is ignore all the c**p that was written in the motoring press about these cars, mine was a great car and I am missing it already!

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Nice to hear that a good one has gone to a good home. Welcome to the retired Haha. I hope you advised the purchaser to come on the forum if he needed any advice.
Good luck in your retirement.

Roger

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice to hear that a good one has gone to a good home. Welcome to the retired Haha. I hope you advised the purchaser to come on the forum if he needed any advice.
Good luck in your retirement.

Roger
Thanks but it doesn't feel much like retirement ! a familiar tale!

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Thanks but it doesn't feel much like retirement ! a familiar tale!
Give it a while. After getting up every day at the usual time and getting ready for work only to realize that you do not have a job to go to it will hit home.:-D
The first few weeks feels like you are on holiday but then you remember that this is what life is from now. Just enjoy it I am sure you deserve it.

Roger

·
Premium Member
17,895 Posts
Sad day to see the ole girl, the X type go JJ after all the time spent together

Part of the family and a reliable ole girl too, but onwards n upwards, sounds like she's in a happy home too.

Congrats on the XF and hope she serves you just as well, enjoy retirement as well

Best
Jim

·
Registered
406 Posts
Nice summary of your X Type ownership, thank you. Have a great retirement. I have worked for a major high street bank for almost 35 years (don't hold that against me, I have definitely helped more than hindered despite what the great British press say about us) and am keeping my fingers crossed for a 'goodbye' from it all. Keep busy.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the comments/likes etc chaps. Felt like the end of an era yesterday when the X Type finally went. I guess I had been lucky to have a good one but it had plenty of use during my ownerhip and whilst I always tried to keep it maintained etc it was never pampered so I think it stands as a testimony of what good cars they can be.

I joined this forum about a year after I brought the X Type and whilst I have never been a prolific poster it has been a great source of help and advice on issues that arose over the years. Sometimes I was able to share my experiences of my car with others and to me this a lot of what this forum is about.

I was quite happy to retire and was fortunate to be in a position to do so. There seems to be no shortage of things for me to do but enjoy being on my own time and knowing that if I don't finish a job today there is always tomorrow!

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
However as I have recently retired I just couldn't justify keeping two Jags and it was time for the X Type to go - sadly! So the end of pretty happy relationship with an X Type for me and my view is ignore all the c**p that was written in the motoring press about these cars, mine was a great car and I am missing it already!
Well that taught you something didn't it:wink:. The Press don't know nuffink - do they!

Happy retirement. Now you'll wonder however you found the time to work:lol:.

·
Registered
609 Posts
What a nice farewell accolade to your X-type. They are a much maligned and abused models. Yet majority of us owners have nothing but praise for them, from the elegant lines, comprehensive equipment (in most cases) and the ease of fixing problems when they appear. it is a very nice Jaguar, one that roars when needs to and behaves like a kitten as well. I've bought mine some 4 years ago with around 39k miles on the clock but cat D. Earlier owners didn't look after or appreciate what they had, so once all the niggles have been sorted I've thoroughly enjoyed putting some 30k odd miles on the clock. Touring around Europe or popping to a Tesco. Not a moment's hesitation - point her towards the Alps, or the French vineyards - no problem... will get you there in style, at speed and in comfort - with my 2.2d at a reasonable cost as well... Suffice to say I now have a stable mate as well - an X 350 XJ, Very nice, but guess what gives the most thrills ???

People ask - You? Retired? Why two Jags?... Because you only live once - so enjoy what brings a smile to your face for as long as possible... and hang the cost! They will bury your only in a suit if you're lucky...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for a lovely post JJ.. I feel a bit sad trading mine in after 6 yrs and 80k And I'm only trading it in for another newer model.....!!!

Everyone I've met who has ever had an X type, loved it... Without exception, and this is the 'baby Jag...' but you are right, they do make you feel special...

Retired people are busier than ever these days....! enjoy it.

Steve

·
Registered
92 Posts
Retirement and the XType

Thanks for a lovely post JJ.. I feel a bit sad trading mine in after 6 yrs and 80k And I'm only trading it in for another newer model.....!!!

Everyone I've met who has ever had an X type, loved it... Without exception, and this is the 'baby Jag...' but you are right, they do make you feel special...

Retired people are busier than ever these days....! enjoy it.

Steve
I bought my XType as a retirement present some four years ago and like yours I am very fond of my old girl. After the initial getting up to scratch I have had some 20k miles with no trouble. Was thinking of going sensible recently and getting a proper small retirement car but the feeling didnt last long. Recently we polished her up for my sons wedding, best car there. Glad to see that you still have a Jaguar and I hope you enjoy your retirement as I have.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.