Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old S type, still a really good goer, with good MPG, has developed a intermittent Growl/rumble on run down from motorway speeds, I never hear it on the local M system at 70 + speed, but coming off the M System allowing the engine to slow me down or when in slow(25/mph travel I suddenly hear this noise that I can only describe as an intermittant Growl or a deep rumble, if I speed up the noise dissapears, I slid under the car at W/e to poke the rubber doughnuts, they are free from cracks and not rock hard, is there anything else this could be, incidentally the diff is cool after a fast run.... but the noise is still there and must be something that is not happy with its life...
any suggestion 's... Fellow Feline Followers??

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you fellow cat lovers, I will be trying to have an extended rear wheels off and a poke around on Sat/Sunday after planting my cross, I did think about the exhaust heat shield but they are really tight and no looseness apparent, I also thought about rear wheel bearings..would they rumble or just get hot..is there a centre prop-shaft bearing hidden by the shielding? for that,.. if there would be in the right sort of place to correspond with the heard rumble/growl.

Peter RB

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good morning Cat Lovers, everywhere.!

I have exhausted every item between the bell housing and rear diff..but still picking up an intermittent rumble..however three people who are also cat lovers cannot hear what I can and tell me it is a lovely drive, so the hunt goes on, however I now about once per week get a reading on the Rev Counter that says "Reduced Power" I pull over stop count to ten start up and it runs for weeks and then gives me the same message, what the hell is all this about , very thing on the car is well serviced I almost tuck it up in bed I do so much on it ..

So has anyone else suffered from this reduced Power signal..that clears its self on stopping the engine and restarting 10 seconds or so later.

Peter R-B
Lancashire

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
Do you have the ability to read the codes?
If not treat yourself to an elm 327 As they are really cheap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.