Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow members.

My name is Luke, I've just registered and it's my first post but I've read this forum for quite a while - especially this XJ section.

I've been looking for my new car and a XJ seems to be my next one. I've learnt already, mainly from this forum that dealerships and their service levels are generally poor in terms of quality, XJs can generally cause some troubles but I love the look and also I've read number of posts that the drive and experience overall is superb.

I've been looking for the right vehicle and found number of potential ones via the Jag's approved scheme. I'm looking for the latest facelift so 2016-2017. I'd like to find a black or dark sapphire one, definitely(!) black interior and low milage (up to ~20000miles). Ideally petrol but not so many of them around and I've found a couple of diesel ones in Wakefield:
http://used.jaguar.co.uk/search#/details/2813236
http://used.jaguar.co.uk/search#/details/2816667

The first one, looks like a brand new, 1-year old car (2000 miles on the clock). It must have cost around £75000 and I'm finding it absolutely shocking that the price drops within 1-2 years by about 50%. Lot's of them around so I've wondered whether it's truly the case for this model or these vehicles are somehow affected by a common issue I'm not seeing?

I'm going to give them a buzz tomorrow and arrange viewing but is there something I'm missing here? Also, any tips on what to look at specifically? I understand corrosion in lower sections of doors is quite common but are there any other typical issue to look for while viewing it?

Regards,
Luke

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've used Hatfields in Wakefield since 2000. A pleasure to deal with a high technical ability.
i looked at the specs of the car of interest and am quite envious.
Bite the bullet and snap it up, if you haven't already.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
These cars are well built and reliable, but can suffer some niggling little issues from time to time. The whole car is built of aluminium, apologies if you knew this already. The corrosion you may have read about is a syndrome unique to aluminium called filiform or crevice corrosion. It looks unsightly but is not as serious a thing as rusting. Sorting it out can be expensive if you go to a paint shop, but I now tend to do my own repainting. The previous model to the one you're looking at, the X350 that I have, was worse for this than the current model. The sunshine roof rails can rust, I believe and are a PITA to fix. Early cars suffered from creaking and groaning from this area too, but I believe this has now been sorted out. Again, the diesels on the previous model, (2.7 litre V6s) gave people a lot of trouble but the later 3 litre version is much better. Whatever diesel you get, it does have two EGR valves that can clog up and also a DPF which can also clog up due to users only driving for short distances.

Try looking for the 3 litre V6 petrol, there are a few around, as that has a fairly reasonable VED charge, scraping into Band K by 1 gm/km !! (£305 instead of £520 Band L, my car), and petrol consumption is not eye-watering like it is with the 5 litre. This one would look very attractive if I had the money: -

http://used.jaguar.co.uk/search#/details/2817678

·
Registered
12 Posts
Make sure rear doors lock and unlock correctly. Check mirrors fold in and out smoothly. Check sun roof shades are smooth in operation.
Check alloy wheel condition, as they can deteriorate remarkably quickly. Obviously have a good look at the tyres and, check the wear is even.
Check the front screen heating element if possible, as sections can go dead.
Condensation in rear lights. Water in the spare wheel well.
Generally a pretty solid and dependable car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your replies, it sounds quite encouraging.

If they are good, solid card - why such a big depreciation? I'm specifically asking for this car:

£70k+ when new I guess, ~12 months later with barely any mileage and only 50% of the original value? This just does not sound right to me and I'd appreciate some explanation

@Fraser - thanks. Petrol would be ideal but they are extremely rare. I've never owned a diesel car, I'm fine with DPF I think as I mostly drive longer distances and motorways.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your replies, it sounds quite encouraging.

If they are good, solid card - why such a big depreciation? I'm specifically asking for this car:

£70k+ when new I guess, ~12 months later with barely any mileage and only 50% of the original value? This just does not sound right to me and I'd appreciate some explanation

@Fraser - thanks. Petrol would be ideal but they are extremely rare. I've never owned a diesel car, I'm fine with DPF I think as I mostly drive longer distances and motorways.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.