Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a bit of insight for this before I go diving in, if anyone could help please.

This has been happening for a while, but turn ignition off and on and it will clear and stay off for a few days. However I have the MOT coming up and want to fix it, but when I put the code reader on there are no codes available ( I have left the reader plugged in while driving until the lights come on ). Is there any other reason this could happen other than reluctor ring or sensor cable, and why would there not be a code?

·
Registered
17,905 Posts
There are a few reasons why no code may not show:-
1)Your code reader can't read it
2)Not all faults store a code
3)Some codes may have cleared if not detected again either after a set number of drive cycles or on restart depending on code(s)

I would say its likely all faults are related.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks BuckMR2, I think I can rule (3) out, as I had the reader connected at the time the lights came on, and didn't switch ignition off until after trying to read the codes. I agree that they are all related, but now am not sure where to start looking, i.e. which wheel/cable.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have used the reader to read and clear codes for the maf (that was the reason for getting it in the first place), thought Buckmr2 meant that there may be certain codes it could not read.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Been looking through the various threads on relutor rings, can anyone clarify if I have them on all 4 wheels? It seems that they are on the CV joints, but as mine is a 2.0D, I don't have CV joints on the rear.
By the way it went through the test, I did mention it to the garage, but they said that as the light came on and went off on the key as it should it was okay. I'm assuming it didn't come on while the brakes weere being tested.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i had just the same problem but it gets worst.all the lights are on and noting works.finally i found out that is the problem with the CAN network.now i'm trying to solve the problem.get the proper code readings first as this codes will not appear on OBD reader.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Reluctor rings? on a 07 2.0D? Im not sure, others may correct me, but I think you might have ASC bearings on the front that have a magnetic code on the inner race, which is picked up by the ABS sensor. Mine is an 04 with these, not sure if later cars had reluctor rings. Simple check, do you have an ABS sensor buried in the front hub? If you take a wheel off, it is on top of the hub in front of the shock.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I do have a sensor where you suggested, but can not spot any reluctor ring on the CV. There doesn't appear to be any electrical connections to the rear hubs.

I have tried to upload a photo but I am only allowed 435 bytes!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Think I may have found the problem, with the engine running I wiggled to o/s sensor cable and the brake warning light has come on and now won't go off.
I would also like to revise the 'no electrical connections at the rear' to great big sensor in the middle of the hub where you can't possibly miss it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.