Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shut the boot with the battery disconnected. How can the system be energized to allow the boot to open. The car is unlocked and I can open the bonnet. Any help with this problem would be appreciated !

·
Registered
S Type 3.0 SE X206 Radiance Red
5,626 Posts
There is a place to stick the ignition key its next to left number plate light.

it allows you to open the boot in the event of a flat battery or as an override.

·
Premium Member
23,827 Posts
If the key lock mechanism on the boot doesn’t work then hook up a power source to a positive terminal and any ground point under the bonnet. This will then allow you to open the boot electrically.

Warning, do not attempt to start the car whilst using a power source in the above way.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I did the same thing, only to find that the key-operated boot release was stuck and both rear seats were secured in the upright position, so no access to the battery compartment. A main dealer advised against making a temporary battery connection under the bonnet. That left me with a major problem. In the end I removed the rear number plate, cut a small hole in the panel beneath, disconnected the existing wiring and connected a 12V battery to two male pins. If you need more information about what to connect where let me know. Having solved the problem I suggested to Jaguar that they include operation of the manual boot release in the maintenance checklist. I don't suppose they ever did but I would recommend that others reading this open the boot with the key every 6 months or so and if it doesn't work, leave one of the rear seats folded down.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for a quick reply ! But !!

There is a place to stick the ignition key its next to left number plate light.

it allows you to open the boot in the event of a flat battery or as an override.
Many thanks Henry. Found the keyhole. Both my keys will go in, but not turn despite a liberal application of WD40. Perhaps just due to having never been used. Looks like i will have to resort to other means.
All the best Mike.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the swift response. An identical problem to mine. Perhaps you would be kind enough to elaborate on the procedure, i.e. where to position the hole and a bit more about the wiring I'm going to encounter.
Many thanks Mike.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
for future refernce, if the lock is siezed.

The battery has a high current cable all the way to a stud in the footwell behind the the throttle cable, expose that and you have easy access to the batter + terminal ( effectivly ).. Or go onto the strater motor main feed.

TT

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Jim,
Other than attempting to start the car (which I'm definitely not going to do) Are their any other possible dangers associated with carry out this procedure. If not, perhaps you could explain more precisely where to make the connections. I'm a bit of a duffer when it comes to electrical shenanigans !

·
Registered
S Type 3.0 SE X206 Radiance Red
5,626 Posts
Many thanks Henry. Found the keyhole. Both my keys will go in, but not turn despite a liberal application of WD40. Perhaps just due to having never been used. Looks like i will have to resort to other means.
All the best Mike.
Mine was stiff ahem :razz:

liberal amounts of WD sorted it!! lol

·
Premium Member
23,827 Posts
Mine was stiff ahem :razz:

liberal amounts of WD sorted it!! lol
Too much will bring you out in a rash Henry.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thank you for the information. This is a great site to come to when problems arise ? So many people willing ( and able to help) !
Regards Mike.
Getting back in line (from your WD40-fantasies)...

Only thing to worry about would be how your disconnected battery cables are lying in the trunk. IF they touch each other or the positive touch the ground ( =car chassis ) you would short out the temporary battery. But when the original battery cables are clear you shouldn't have any issues. You don't really need a large battery, even a 12V motorcycle battery should be enough. You only want to give power to the computer to receive the radio signal from you remote to operate the solenoid in the trunk lid (to pull the lock open). - Naturally I would connect the temporary battery only to get the trunk open and then disconnect.

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
Dealers will always try to scare you off.
If you know what you're doing go for it.

If you don't, don't.

In your case Mike spray in more WD40 into the boot lock, wait half an hour, spray more, then use the key, keep rocking back and forth with a bit of force and it will free off.

Use your spare key just in case the plastic case snaps.

Penetrating Oil would be better.

Dont go cutting holes unless its the last option.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I saw an article a good while ago about the manual unlock of the boot.

Out of curiosity I tried mine. Didn't work! tried and tried to free with penetrating oil, (I had the boot open so the oil had a better chance of getting in there) Cut a long story short, I stripped the whole thing out and found the (stiff) wire from the manual unlock disconnected! (it was tucked up out of the way, don't know why)

Bit of a job to get it back in position all free and lightly greased.
I'm kicking myself now that I didn't make a photo record of the job.

It's been a good while since I tried it so will go out now and verify it's still working as it should.

Regards..............................IP

·
Super Moderator
6,474 Posts
... found the (stiff) wire from the manual unlock disconnected! (it was tucked up out of the way, don't know why) ...
The lock mechanism seems to be made from soft steel plate which can distort and jam the mechanism. I "repaired" mine a few times before springing for a new one. It is possible that the lock was replaced but the disconnected cable was forgotten.

My fear is that if the mechanism is jammed and the boot shut, only a boot full of WD40 have any effect on the lock mechanism itself.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Finally success ! Penetrating oil in large doses and much key twisting achieved the desired result. Then spent 20 mins playing with the key to get it out.(NB WD40 is for the birds !).
A big thank you to everyone that came to my assistance.

·
Premium Member
23,827 Posts
Well done Michael, just make sure you use that lock periodically to keep it working. Graphite grease on the key when inserted will help to keep everything moving correctly.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Just tried mine for the first time and.................................................................It worked right away, no problem :) Happy days.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.