Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boyfriend has a 2001 XK8 and wants to add the leaping Jaguar hood ornament.
My local dealership says because of the location of the current emblem to the radiator, this is not advised. I have seen other info that says if it is pre facelift it should go on rather easily. If it is post facelift there is a modification that can be made (drill holes) to install it. How do i know if it is pre or post facelift?
Do you recommend this modification?
You can probably tell by my questions, I am new at this.
Thanks so much for the input!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Hello and welcome...for me the leaping Jag does not go with modern cars...much better is a chrome mesh grille...fitted one last week, everyone loves it. Also I am in Florida next week if he needs help putting it on......???

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello and welcome...for me the leaping Jag does not go with modern cars...much better is a chrome mesh grille...fitted one last week, everyone loves it. Also I am in Florida next week if he needs help putting it on......???
Thanks, and I agree that it doesn't quite go with the newer cars. I will see if he is interested in the mesh grille.
We can check with our local guy but thanks for the offer, very nice of you!

·
7,785 Posts
I am not too sure about the USA regs but could it be considered illegal too? Did they not stop people using them as they were a hazard to pedestrians if they ended up on your bonnet/hood ?

·
Premium Member
17,880 Posts
Hi Pamela, welcome aboard...

The XK8 never had the leaper installed, so it would be retro fitted as some have done as you may know. The adding of the leaper is quite a big thing in the US / Canada and some have even been known to add to much much newer vehicles, even new XJ's and F types etc.
To be honest it just doesn't belong on these vehicles or the XK8 and doesn't make them any more Jaguar ish, I'd really advise against it

If however, you / boyfriend are still dead set on it, it shouldn't be too difficult to do.

All my best
Jim

·
7,785 Posts
Unique and dangerous. Would be bad enough to be hit by a car but to be stabbed and shredded by a hood ornament........ Personally I do not think it makes the car look any better, but thats just my personal preference. Its your car and only you should decide what goes on it.

·
Premium Member
23,812 Posts
An absolute abomination and something that is certainly not needed on a car of this nature irrespective of the safety implications should the car be involved in a accident.

As said, your car your choice.

·
Premium Member
XF S 3.0D V6 18MY Italian Racing Red
7,004 Posts
...I like it! Was done before I purchased the car. Unique look
Welcome to the forum. Quite a post you opened with there!

Leapers will always get a reaction :)

For me, it's a no. If it wasn't really meant to be there, then it's best not being there.

·
Super Moderator
6,472 Posts
Welcome too!

Leapers are down to personal taste and they remained popular your side of the Atlantic a little longer than this side. However, a point to consider is that leapers were mainly a saloon/sedan thing. The sports cars look odd with them fitted. Just think of a an E-Type with a leaper - looks completely out of place.

Also drilling holes often leads to another weak point that corrodes sometime down the road.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Would be bad enough to be hit by a car but to be stabbed and shredded by a hood ornament........
Classy way to go though. :-D

Joking aside, I thought that modern leapers were spring loaded to avoid impaling anyone.

Some days I think they look good and other days not. On the days I think they look good I wait until my mood swings around 180 degrees. Also, the thought of drilling holes in my bonnet, (hood for our USA enthusiasts) fills me with horror.

·
Registered
34 Posts
you can get cheap stick-on leapers on flea-bay.
If you don't like it, just take it off again.
No holes that ruin the bonnet.
Personally I think the leaper looks wrong on the XK8.

·
Premium Member
17,880 Posts
Pamela hasn't checked in again since 28.11.17 so I don't really think she cares what we think and has since made a decision in all probability

Jim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.