Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I decided to check my air filter as you do.. when I finally managed to get the filter out it was black and hadn’t been changed for at least 2 years as last year I had an ‘A’ service which jaguar said it’s not included.
the black stuff was all over my filter and coated the inside of the air box. Do you think this is something to worry about maybe EGR valve? Or just normal for a Diesel engine?

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Is it oily black stuff. The air filter should just filter the air from the air intake and can get really black if you follow a smoking diesel but should not get in that state under normal driving conditions unless you have some blow back from the turbos.
Mine was black when I first bought the car at 28k but it was only dry dirt not oily. I change mine every year as a matter of course.

Roger

·
Premium Member
17,895 Posts
Dragonalfa - I've always maintained about the servicing aspect and stated many times....

Some people put great store by purchasing a car that's had FULL Jaguar service history..........me, not so much!!

Your signature line is empty so I have little clue as to what you have, sounds like a 3.0 d though?

My 2.7d on the X358 - I service my car every year at least and for very little money ensure the engine oil / filter, air filter, fuel filter and pollen filter are changed, irrespective of miles covered.
As you've just found out Jaguar ( and other manufacturers ) push the boundaries and say 40k for fuel filters and air filters etc.......This could be 3 or 4 years or more!!!

Almost no matter how you do it, unless you go to the dealer of course, it is very very cheap maintenance. Assuming you'll be keeping the car for a few years, something I'd highly encourage you to think about.

Again, don't know the age of your car, don't know how many miles on your car or the model.....worth putting into your signature to help members to help you

If that's what the air filter is like, what's the pollen filter like and importantly what's the fuel filter like??

Best
Jim

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Premium Member
17,895 Posts
Thanks for the replies
my XJ is the 3.0 V6 diesel 2012
i couldn't upload a photo on this site through my phone so I also posted here
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-x351-53/air-filter-question-diesel-xj-191184/#post1781363
there you can see the photo of the airfilter and actually how bad it looked.
i guess in future it's woth paying the extra for a hopefully full service.
Hey there, wouldn't say imo it's anything to worry about, looks normal to me, for a filter that's done some miles and hasn't been changed in a while

You still don't say though, how many miles on the car?
Did you buy it from new?
If used, when and how many miles when you bought it?

As a 2012 that car could have covered anywhere from 10k miles to 100k miles, more likely around 60k miles but it'd be nice to know and could help to form a picture of its past life as it were.

If it's 60k there or thereabouts, it could be that it was not done at 40k and has been missed either deliberately or unintentionally and could possibly even be the original filter supplied when the car was new.
I used to say to my 3 sons when talking to them about servicing their cars and air filters etc.

Imagine you're running a 10k race and you're in great shape, off you go take it easy, keep breathing and running and eventually you'll get there, all good.
Now try the same race with a pair of socks stuffed in your mouth!
Not so good....

An air filter is around £8 or so, it makes really good sense to have it changed every year, your car will thank you for it
I'd still be interested to hear the back story, to find out where this has went wrong and who's to blame.......could give you ammo for the future and have a bearing on your decisions

All the best
Jim

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Thanks for the replies
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-x351-53/air-filter-question-diesel-xj-191184/#post1781363
i guess in future it's woth paying the extra for a hopefully full service.
That also looks normal to me as Jim says depends on the mileage. Why pay extra for the full service when you could just change the filter yourself and save a packet.

Roger

·
Registered
91 Posts
HOLLY COW I THOUGHT MINE WAS BAD!!?
WHEN I BOUGHT MY SID I DONT THINK THE PEOPLE BEFORE ME EVER THOUGHT OF CHANGING THE AIR FILTER.
SO OF COURSE I HAD TO CHECK THE CABIN FILTERS AND OMG TO MY SUPRISE I COULD OF BUILD AN EAGLES NEST OUT OF WHAT WAS STUFFED INTO THAT COMPARTMENT!!! MY SID RUNS (BREATHS) SOOO MUCH BETTER NOW. :/ POOR THING. LOL

QUOTE=dragonalfa;1045510]Thanks for the replies
i guess in future it's woth paying the extra for a hopefully full service.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
That, I would suggest, has not been changed for an awful long time. Which if you pay for servicing is absolutely no surprise, as at best you can expect the oil (and if you'r lucky, the oil filter) to be changed. Even if you use dealers.

To use the old adage, if you want a job doing properly, do it yourself. A spotty youth paid near minimum wage at a Jaguar dealer really doesn't give a monkeys about your expensive pride and joy... ...and his management do not give him time to either.

If thats oily, and not just condensation getting mixed with the bad state of the filter, then I would be concerned. Wipe the airbag clean, and check again in a month or so. If the oil servicing has been equally abused, due to the nature of the particulates in diesel ending up in the oil, you can get excessive wear, including in turbo bearings. Ideally, the oil needs changing every 5-6k, NOT the stupid intervals Jaguar state (in order to please fleet managers). Diesel oil turns black quickly (due to the particulates), so you can't use oil colour as a gauge for when to change like you can petrol. If you are experienced, you can start to feel the particulates in the oil with diesel by rubbing between finger and thumb. Again, best option for changing oil is DIY.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
A dealer service history is only beneficial to those buying and believing it has been maintained properly.
I'm with Jim on this , it means diddly squat and that only the bare minimum has been done.

A few years ago a friend of mine bought a new Diesel Merc estate , cant remember which model now.
It had its first service at 25k , this was the standard for the long interval engine model.
Service cost him just under £600 , no paperwork to say what had been done just book stamped.
I plugged in my laptop which could read the service information ..........
Oil and filter changed , Air filter checked !!! Ok , its a fair sized cylindrical filter , but why not change it ?
Took it out and it was pretty black , questioned with dealer - Computer checks the air flow and its fine sir.

Where you drive has a lot to do with air quality , driving around London will not help for example,
Following something bellowing out loads of smoke and dirt wont help either.
For the sake of £11 for a genuine Visteon filter , let her breathe with extra filter changes yourself :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.