Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today my copy of 'Jaguar New XK' by Nigel Thorley arrived, and p.36 says I should have rubber air flow ducts in front of the front wheels.

No sign of 'em. Everything seems to work perfectly well... what do they do, cool the brakes?

· Premium Member
23,854 Posts
Is it referring to the ones on the 5L models?

· Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From the photo they're quite small and mounted under the black plastic flat bit. Quote:

'There are smaller rubber panels that form airflow ducts under the edges of the front wings. These are often left off. However, they are an important part of the aerodynamics of the car, so should always be fitted'.

No mention of engine size, and it's shown on the 2006-8 model.

· Premium Member
23,854 Posts
I shall check mine in the daylight tomorrow. I do recall seeing something like that on mine, not sure if it’s that far back though.

· Registered
4,346 Posts
Ah yeah, I have those. Never been sure what they're for but they're a bit of a pain when refitting the undertray because of how they attach. The lower three bolts in the front arch liners at the front edge also pass through these and inevitably you realise you've managed to miss one of the loops on these duct things once and only once you've got the others bolted in correctly, meaning you have to undo and refix them all.

I have a theory that they're there to break up the air hitting the front wheels and trying to push the wheels upwards at high speed, but I could be far wrong.

· Administrator
10,099 Posts
They’re plastic trim which aren’t cheap! I clipped one on a speed bump and it smashed itself apart, attaches to the under tray and fixed in through the wheel arch.

It’s to improve stability at high speed deflecting air away from the wheels.

· Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all - I think I can manage without them!

· Registered
697 Posts
I also purchased this little book which has some useful basic tips when buying an XK. I was thinking getting a copy of the larger version ISBN:978-1-845848-15-6 featured at the end of this book.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.