Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had 'air suspension fault ' pop up and I can hear an air leak. Its not continuous but if I bounce the car hard I can hear a small 'psssst' of escaping air. If I drive down a bumpy road the front suspension eventually goes soft, I assume that the compressor cant keep up with the leak after a lot of bumps. Also after being parked up for >10 mins the front drops down until its on the stoppers on both sides but once the car is started it pumps back up to the correct height.

Its booked in for investigations tomorrow morning at the garage, I just have a few questions that might help in working out what needs doing (but Im hoping the garage will work it out)

The hiss doesnt seem to come from around the suspension but a bit further back. Is there a pressure release valve anywhere in the system that might have gone faulty ?

If its an air shock (and Im betting it is) can I replace red dot XJR units for standard green dot units , red dots seem to be rare as hens teeth and stupid prices. Looking at the arnott replacement items they say they can be used to replace either sport or comfort units so Im assuming its ok as long as I replace the pair across an axle.

I can see there are non oem air shocks from china for ~£200 , I'd prefer new as second hand may be just as bad as the ones I have now , will they work, anyone tried them ?

I only plan to keep this car for another 6 months so I just need to keep it going for as little money as possible but im not prepared to drive around with faulty suspension even if it is mostly ok.

·
Registered
620 Posts
The arnott have two kinds
Sport and comfort.
I have just got the comfort

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Technology

Reactions: #steve

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Due to the Arnott ones being around £650+ (USD $750) each here in europe and I dont need to keep this car much longer I've gone for chinese knock offs from Amazon for £389 the pair. I will report back with the results once they are fitted next week !

·
Registered
620 Posts
Good luck.
Very expensive in europe/uk!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PLEASE do report back!! :D
update as promised . When they tried to remove the old suspension the lower arms were so rusted the bolts were basically welded to the lower arms.

Two new lower arms fitted along with the new shocks and the handling has been transformed. No fault messages and she sits at the correct height with no hissing or front end dropping.

Obviously time will tell but so far so good !

·
Registered
2003 XJ Super V8
24 Posts
Thanks for the update! How does the damping feel? My Super V8 is a bit wallowy but I don't know if that is standard, but I doubt it. At 150k I'd imagine the damping is shot..

Have you got a link for the ones you got?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the update! How does the damping feel? My Super V8 is a bit wallowy but I don't know if that is standard, but I doubt it. At 150k I'd imagine the damping is shot..

Have you got a link for the ones you got?
i need to do a longer drive to check but so far its very taught even though they are not the sports version. Ive had an increasingly wallowy experience for the last year, thats gone now.

Product Font Line Camera accessory Cameras & optics

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update now they have been on a few weeks. Ride height is perfect and the ride and handling is as i would expect from an XJR.

My feeling about the ride is its part way between green and red dot. Definitely feels a bit firmer and more taught than my old XJ8 but not as hard as the XJR sports shocks.

It swallows up bumps and holes beautifully and the ride is smooth and as expected from a Jag.

i am very happy with them and the price. I will pop back in a few months with a long term update.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Well done
Between red and green is amber

• Haha
Reactions: PetA

·
Registered
99 Posts
i noticed on amazon a kit of 4 shocks plus a pump chinese seller £800 not sure if will be vat ?, i guess if keeping the car for a long time this might be worth the investment, i have to say i purchased 2 bonnet struts for x350 they were rubbish and lasted a week !!
replaced with correct items listed on ebay

1 - 14 of 14 Posts