Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELLO ALL

Just a quick question. When someone sits in the passenger seat it seems that the Airbag light on the dash flashes. This dose not occur all the time. I can stop the engine fire it up again and it would then go out. It never at any time flashes on when I am driving on my own.

IT ONLY WHEN I HAVE FRONT SEAT PASSENGER

Any help I would be grateful.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Are they wearing their seatbelt?

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
If the passenger shifts thier weight forwards or physically moves forward towards the dash then the sensor picks up that something is too close to the airbag for it to deploy. :)

·
Registered
387 Posts
Really? Thought it was a simple weight on seat, seatbelt on airbag active. Where is the proximity sensor as it seems overly complex and begging for failure, what happens if the occupant stretches their arm out before an accident, does the airbag fail to deploy?

·
Registered
8,748 Posts
The XK8/R has proximity sensors mounted on the inside of the B pillar and in the roof console. Can't remember if there's one on the A pillar, too, but I've only had the car two and a half years. :)

·
Registered
387 Posts
well never knew that. clever yet annoying technology it would seem.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
There is a sensor on the A pillar, a sensor in the center console just above the touchscreen, & a sensor in the roof just behind the sunroof.
They are all occupancy sensors for the airbag system. Ultrasonic I believe...

Oldjagman, how heavy is your passenger? If they are the right weight they can confuse the system.
The airbag doesn't deploy if the weight in the seat is too low with the seatbelt in use. For example with children or skinny birds.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Well I got a right plump one that sits in the passengers seat and is always moving about and moaning that the seat belt is trying to strangle her (belt pretensioners) and this seems to keep triggering the airbag light on her side all the time. Wish I could just dart her and load her in the car....It would also be quieter too. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
387 Posts
Have you tried a cg lock, nice item that keeps the tension adjusted without compromising safety.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.