Airflow Meter

Oxyjag

Reaction score
Hi All

I'm new to this forum and need some info on spare parts for the S3 airfolw meter,

a bit about myself first

I live on the east Coast of NSW Australia approx 100Klm north of Sydney, I have purchased my 1st Jaguar a 1983 XJ6 just last November and joined the local Jaguar Drivers Club. I'm 55 and my wife and I are enjoying the outings with the club and generally driving around in the car.

The car is in need of some TLC which I am doing a bit at a time as spare time and $$$ permits but is still registered and drivable.

OK now can anyone please help with the following

The carbon track on the PCB in the Airflow meter destroyed itself a month ago, I have purchased a new AFM and the car is running better than ever, the problem I have is that no one in Australia or the USA can supply me a new PCB, if I can get one I can repair my old Airflow Meter as a spare, is there anyone in the UK that will supply a new PCB ?

Thanks
Gary

XJ for two

Reaction score
hello and greetings;

errr, cough, cough! what is the PCB ? do you have a picture? AFMs show up on eBay US all the time. But The PCB?
I have no clue. or do you mean the PCV? (Positive Crankcase Ventilation).

If it is a separate part, I'm pretty sure you can get it.

Oh, I'm 58 and I've owned my 1984 XJ-6 for 20 years, so I win :mrgreen:

And by the way, there is a "fix" for the AFM which you can order here: http://www.jaggraveyard.com

Also there's many many mods (modifications/improvements) for the Series 3 XJ-6 (1980-1987), many free.

XJ for two

Oxyjag

Reaction score
Hi XJ for Two

If you take off the black plastic cover on the Air flow meter, you wil see a small PC board near where the electric plug comes in, it has 2 carbon tracks on it that the 2 copper / brass "feelers" from the top of the air flap run along. The carbon track is in sections and as the feelers run along the track ( as the air flap opens up ) it sends an electric inpulse back to the ECU to determine the amount of fuel to be injected.

This PC board is the main reason why the Airflow meter plays up, the carbon over time becomes brittle as lifts of the track so that an intermitent or no signal is sent back to the ECU, which causes erractic runing.

Gary

XJ for two

Reaction score
Hi XJ for Two, If you take off the black plastic cover on the Air flow meter, you wil see a small PC board near where the electric plug comes in, it has 2 carbon tracks on it that the 2 copper / brass "feelers" from the top of the air flap run along. The carbon track is in sections and as the feelers run along the track ( as the air flap opens up ) it sends an electric inpulse back to the ECU to determine the amount of fuel to be injected. This PC board is the main reason why the Airflow meter plays up, the carbon over time becomes brittle as lifts of the track so that an intermitent or no signal is sent back to the ECU, which causes erractic runing. Gary

Gary,
got it now. I've been fortunate that my car has not shown the problem, I've never had to work on the AFM. in fact, my AFM still has the factory seal, some sort of metal plug which prevents any adjusting. BUT, this is precisely where the "fix" I mentioned comes into play, right at the PC board of the AFM, and I have been hearing about this fix for years.

Tell you what, I don't like to refer this forum's members to other forums, but in your case, I think you might benefit from registering/joining the Jag-Lovers XJ Forum too. There is a treasure of information in the archives at Jag-Lovers, you can search for "AFM fix" in the Series 1,2,3 database and chances are you'll find it. Give it a try. I know this does not answer your question about replacement brushes/carbons, but you might start a new thread about this at that forum too.

http://www.jag-lovers.com

XJ for two

Oxyjag

Reaction score
XJ for two

I have looked a Jag Lovers and could not find anything, I also posted a thread on it and did not get any answer as to where to get one ( been a member since Jan09 ).

I just went back and did a search on the "fix" and the only thing that comes ups is to move the PC Board so that the wipers run along a new track in the carbon. Unfortunatly the carbon on the 1st 2 increments on the track do not exist anymore as they have completely lifted of the board. :cry:

XJ for two

Reaction score
ok, I see.

the fix I am referring to is the addition of a Resistor, something that started at the Jaguar factory in the 1980's.

I will find a link to it and post it back here.

Wilfredjaguar

Reaction score
Good evening,

I’m very curious about this resistor, the value and where to put it. This thread hasn’t been active since 2009, but I hope that someone remembers it ?

Thanks,

Wilfred

Fraser

Reaction score
I am curious to know why nobody up to now has suggested moving this thread to the Series 3 forum because no Series 1, and only very late Series 2s had fuel injection.