AJ30 - too much oil pressure?

magpies

Reaction score
On start up and until the oil temperature is up to about 70degC (I have both aftermarket gauges) the oil pressure is at full scale = 100psi even at 900 revs.
Once above 70 then it starts to reduce, when up to temperature (95degC) tickover gives 25psi, 1500 revs gives 40 to 50 psi and anything above 3000 shows 60 to 70 psi. I'm wondering if the excess pressure is having any negative effects within the engine - timing chain tension etc.?

RWD3M

I Have Donated !
Reaction score
Hi Magpies,

Typically, the effects you are seeing are quite normal on any engine. Whilst the oil is cold (and therefore much thcker) a pressure relief valve will struggle to cope with the pressure and volume of oil that the pump is providing.

It won't have any negative effect providing, as seems to be the case, normal operating pressure is achieved and maintained once the oil has warmed up.

I don't know what the oil pressure should be on your particular engine but that seems quite reasonable to me.

Now stop watching the worry gauge and get out and enjoy the car! :) (lockdown permitting!)

magpies

Reaction score
Cheers 3M, I was just seeking confirmation as this is the first Jag engine I've had - I installed it in my TVR during 2019 and on the road March 2020. 265bhp and loves to rev. I recently purchased a XF Sportbrake as my very first proper Jag.

Attachments

• TVR Moors resized.JPG
    TVR Moors resized.JPG
    239.6 KB · Views: 4
  • XF at Hartlepool Divers.jpg
    XF at Hartlepool Divers.jpg
    425.4 KB · Views: 4

RWD3M

I Have Donated !
Reaction score
Nice, on both counts!

And thanks for posting the pics, we do like a picture here :)