Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
7,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and...-giulia-not-just-for-alfa-loyalists-1.3306627

For many Years I have foamed at the mouth over Alfa Romeos , in fact few other car Manufacturers have consistently
produced such beautiful creations . A local Italian Doctor owned one when I was a child and for some reason he never
seemed to buy another , from memory the time would be the early 1970s and the model was a Giulia .
Fast forward to the nineties and an acquaintance showed up with one with selespeed transmission , it was a total nightmare
and he simply couldn't deal with the reliability issues and soon got rid .
Once again it seems we are about to be regaled with Alfas " latest offerings " and I am forced to ask myself will it be the same
old story . Has anyone ever been tempted or come close to purchasing these " flawed " works of art ? Perhaps you have owned
one and emerged unscathed by the experience ?

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
Like the most beautiful of women, you want them so badly, but you know she'll be heart-breakingly hard work to maintain so money pit I suspect. I came perilously close to buying a 159 when the S-Type had to go, it's been around a while but they still look nice to me. Then take a stroll through some Alfa owners forums and look out for the threads on subframe rot. That parked the Alfa 159 dream quickly which is why a VW CC sits on my drive instead. As for the Brera, got to be one of the nicest hatchbacks ever made for pure aesthetics alone, but it shares a lot of bits with the 159... so rots.

I do still like the GTV though, I think now would be the time to pick one of those up as they're silly cheap and a handsome car. I'm also keeping half an eye on the current Giulia, if no rot or reliability problems surface when the CC gets moved on I might be tempted by a used one. I still can't shake the urge to own one.

·
Registered
495 Posts
The Dealer network for all the Italian rust buckets is considered below accepted standards now and in Alfa's case usually appalling not to mention below par residual values Why put yourself through all that for a car where even the front numberplate looks odd.

·
Premium Member
6,539 Posts
I posted a link to this car when someone mentioned the dealer named Velvis

Seems they still have it and if memory serves, I believe it is now cheaper.

Click here

No idea what any Alfa is like to own or drive.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
Those GT's that Ashanti has posted a link to are by reputation a nicely sculpted **** I believe. I know two people who have owned them and both spent a lot of time off the road with Luigi scratching his head under the bonnet. I think the 159/Brera was on the whole fairly sound mechanically, apart from the usual modern diesel niggles, so a petrol Ti model would be the way to go, it's just the tin worm.

I may be wrong but I think the GTV escaped most traditional Alfa issues, surely someone here must have owned one though who would know?

There's no main dealer near me Hydrajaws but there is a very good (apparently) independent Alfa garage not too far away so if I ever did go down the Alfa route that's where i'd go. The owner of the garage drives an Alfa 4C - it's quite something, like a more sophisticated Lotus Elise S2... although i'd still take the Lotus any day if I were being forced to choose.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I have no experience of Alfas, but a work colleague had a Giulietta back in 2011.

Looked a million dollars, but it spent more time back in the workshop than it did on the road.

From memory, it went in for warranty work over 30 times in a year.

He eventually sold it and bought a Toyota Avensis, which was the epitome of reliability.

·
Administrator
10,053 Posts
I have no experience of Alfas, but a work colleague had a Giulietta back in 2011.

Looked a million dollars, but it spent more time back in the workshop than it did on the road.

From memory, it went in for warranty work over 30 times in a year.

He eventually sold it and bought a Toyota Avensis, which was the epitome of reliability.
My friend at work had pretty much the same experience of a Giulietta.

The Alfa Romeo F1 re-entrance is just a thinly disguised 2018 F1 Ferrari engine in a Sauber.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I looked at the 159 as a replacement for my X Type a few years back and was tempted by the looks, spec etc. In the end it was head rules heart as I was used to a car I could depend and from what I had read about Alfa's I thought that ownership could lead to sleepless nights.

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
Come back Alfasud. All is forgiven...

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
Well they did have a saying about Alfas..

"She goes-a like-a da Wind!
When-a she Go-a!" :) 8)

They are generally beauties.

But the pedals in 2 that I drove were too close together and strangely offset to the left of centre.

And neither driver seat would go back far enough.

They felt very light and responsive, and had great "driveability", nippiness and handling. They seemed to say to you "come on, put your foot down, let's go!" :)

The other car which did that but felt more robust was a BMW 2002tii long long ago.

That's when BMWs became interesting, but every Pratt suddenly had one.

·
Super Moderator
6,468 Posts
Italian cars are often attractive in the flesh but may not be as reliable as the best. Have look at reliability statistics and Alfa and FIAT are usually low down but so are some of the Germans!

This is an interesting summary on Alfa: https://www.osv.ltd.uk/are-alfa-romeo-reliable/

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
I have played with an Alfa,but a long time ago!

After my sister married,and I joined the RAF,mum's battered Triumph Courier van was sold.Mum wanted a Herald drophead,she'd enjoyed the tight turning circle of the van version.Dad had not enjoyed the chassis rust issues.They ended up buying a 12 month old Midget,on a hot summer Saturday in 1971.Ran it for a year or so and decided that it was too small for a middle-aged couple(watching dad extract himself from it was great fun!)so it was traded against a B roadster.Mum loved the B,said that the faster she went,the safer she felt.Dad hankered after an Alfa....mum tried to talk me into buying a Sud when they arrived...and he eventually traded the B for an Alfa Spyder Veloce.This was one of just 6 examples to be imported in the summer of '72,the later Kamn tail with the earlier short stroke 1750 engine.It was bought from a garage that had a very good bodyshop,the story was that it had 'minor' front end damage that they repaired but the owner failed to pay up for.Over the following months dad and I sorted it out,we found a damaged engine mount that caused the engine to lean to the right,making selection of 5th 'interesting',peobably a result of accident damage.I fitted a new clutch and new front brakes,a lot of the bits and bobs that we did were the sort of stuff you could reasonably expect to do on a 40k mile 5 year old s/h car.Dad,an eletctrical engineer,sorted out the dodgy electrics and we ended up with a very decent car.Indipendant rear suspension,a hood that could be folded from the driver's seat were two features that impressed an ex MG B owner.

I was added to the insurance policy for my 25th birthday(1975) and was allowed to use the thing.It was a pleasure to drive mum into Stafford and trail round the shops with her as I got to drive the Alfa! One afternoon we were on our way home going through Rising Brook,mum noted that I was fidgeting about between the three top gears to keep the to the 30mph speed limit and asked if we were being followed.I confirmed that a motorway patrol car was sat in the boot.
'Well,you know what to do then' she mentioned.
The A449 exited the town via a double bend over the railway,with the NSL sign before the bend.Floored it in 3rd as I passed the sign,4th on the exit to the second part of the bend and into top at around 65mph,checked the mirror and plod was left well behind! We then turned off left to go down the lane into the village they lived in.

So if you have the time,knowledge and money to get a s/h Alfa right,it will return a very satisfying drive.

I'm tempted to replace 'er indoors Micra with a 147,afterall,what could possibly go wrong....

:-D

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have owned 4 Alfas, an Alfasud 1.5, an Alfetta twin cam1.8, an Alfa 154 2.0 litre Twin Spark, and an Alfa156 2.4 Diesel. The petrol engines were very reliable and great fun, however rust was the enemy. The Alfa 156 was bought as an ex Demo run by the service manager at a Main Dealer. It brought the M8 to a halt when the Turbo let go at 7000 miles covering both carriageways with dense blue smoke as it removed the car's oil. It was never the same after that. I would buy the new Alfa with the petrol engine, if I did not have one of the best cars on the Road.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.