Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my XK nearly a year now, almost time for the MOT and yearly service. I guess I had better prepare myself for an expensive December. :)

· Registered
3,108 Posts
I have had mine for three years now, and have never had even an advisory on the MOT. I would be shocked if I did, which means that I have become complacent: One day I am in for a rude awakening!

· Premium Member
23,854 Posts
The more you can do in the way of preventative maintenance the less it will cost. Other than tax and insurance my car is relatively cheap to to run.:mrgreen:

· Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To be fair, I'm not expecting any MOT failures. Although, the brake pads, or something like that could be low. Tyre's look in good nick though and apart from a side light bulb I need to replace, the lights are all in tip top condition.

I suspect the service is the thing I'll be clobbered by. I can't imagine getting a Jag stamp in the book is cheap. :)

Surprised you say that Thomas though given my own recent expenditure on my XK I should perhaps be offering you sympathy .
I think Jimbo is spot on and so is Dave , complacency can be a financial nightmare

· Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Out of interest, would you recommend getting Jag MOT & service, just service, or neither?

I figured Jag for the service as they would have diagnosis software etc.

· Administrator
10,099 Posts
I used to do the servicing myself, take advantage of using the free health check that the local dealer does to pick up on anything. (Usually giving part numbers required too, which is a bonus) and then MOT with the local dealer too. For older cars, IMO this is one of the most efficient ways and lowest cost to maintain an XK.

· Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Free health check you say? How does one go about getting one of these?

I used to do the servicing myself, take advantage of using the free health check that the local dealer does to pick up on anything. (Usually giving part numbers required too, which is a bonus) and then MOT with the local dealer too. For older cars, IMO this is one of the most efficient ways and lowest cost to maintain an XK.

· Registered
98 Posts
Just had mine serviced by my local Jaguar dealer Stratstone. They are still honouring the 3+ fixed price service of £225 minor / £299 major. Worth it in my view to maintain the dealer service history. They did throw me a curve ball - I asked for a cost to change the supercharger belt which needs dong at 10 years old - they quoted £2,500!! When I got up off the floor they apologised as they thought I needed to change the whole supercharger......

· Registered
4,346 Posts
Out of interest, would you recommend getting Jag MOT & service, just service, or neither?

I figured Jag for the service as they would have diagnosis software etc.
They won't go near it with the diagnostic software unless you report an issue. As for servicing, I use a dealer for mine under the 3+ fixed price servicing scheme and have them do a healthcheck and inspection at the same time.

Regarding MOT, I take my car to a local council vehicle depot for the test. Under UK law local authorities have to offer MOT testing to the general public but that's all - they're not allowed to do any remediation or repair work. This means they're not making any money from failing you for silly things, you know you'll get a fair test. Find your local center here - http://www.ukmot.com/Council-MOT-Test-Centers/UK

· Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I haven't found anyone local to me (Essex) offering the 3+ fixed price servicing, thus far.

Thank you for the MOT link. :)

They won't go near it with the diagnostic software unless you report an issue. As for servicing, I use a dealer for mine under the 3+ fixed price servicing scheme and have them do a healthcheck and inspection at the same time.

Regarding MOT, I take my car to a local council vehicle depot for the test. Under UK law local authorities have to offer MOT testing to the general public but that's all - they're not allowed to do any remediation or repair work. This means they're not making any money from failing you for silly things, you know you'll get a fair test. Find your local center here - http://www.ukmot.com/Council-MOT-Test-Centers/UK

· Registered
4,346 Posts
Bound to be one somewhere but you should find a selection of decent independents not too far, in that neck of the woods?

Welcome re. the council MOT link, I'm surprised more people don't know about and use them. I guess most folk just swallow the annual ritual of booking in to some local garage or main dealer for the service and MOT and cross their fingers. Apparently a lot of taxi drivers use the council places. I like taking my car there, the two chaps that do the tests are great lads and always happy to see the car, they say it makes a welcome change from the usual procession of local authority vans and minibuses etc. I usually get a chance to inspect the underside of the car at the same time.

· Registered
1,457 Posts
They won't go near it with the diagnostic software unless you report an issue.
So much for preventative maintenance then...! It doesn't actually cost anything to plug a laptop in for 2 mins and make sure...

· Registered
4,346 Posts
The trouble is that the software needs the technician to select a fault from a tree of possible issues. It's called SDD which stands for "symptom driven diagnostics". They start by identifying the major system with the issue, then navigating down the tree to the affected subsystem then get a list of possible symptoms. Once they select the customer complaint, then and only then will it scan for codes.

If you want to be able to scan the car for codes yourself then an OBD2 to bluetooth adapter and an app like Torque Pro (android) or an iOS equivalent will do basic stuff, or something like the JLR-specific version of the iCarSoft scanner will read most modules in the car.

· Registered
1,457 Posts
The trouble is that the software needs the technician to select a fault from a tree of possible issues. It's called SDD which stands for "symptom driven diagnostics". They start by identifying the major system with the issue, then navigating down the tree to the affected subsystem then get a list of possible symptoms. Once they select the customer complaint, then and only then will it scan for codes.
Haha, and there was me thinking you could just plug in the doofer and the software would scan the car (like a PC virus scan) and flag up anything that wasn't right.

Can't be that hard surely?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.