Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am struggling to see how to remove the alternator drive belt. The alternator is off the car and belt is off all pulleys except the tensioner pulley itself. There is not enough room around the back of the pulley between the pulley and the engine itself to slip the belt round and off the car.

Do I have to take the tensioner off?

Any advice welcome.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Yes, it has to come off.
Should be changed along with new idler pulley anyway when the belt is changed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi All,

Had my 2.2 alternator done by a garage last week, talk about tight space...!!! Up on n hydraulic lift and working from underneath it was still really tight on space, ended up getting alternator, bottom pulley, tensioner and belt... ouch...! lookin at it with the mechanic, the bottom pulley was the ultimate problem, its not just a solid bit of metal but two components with a material holding them together, its designed that way to absorb stress off the engine under load 9I guess) anyway the material that holds the two parts together has over time perished and voila..! red charging light would come on (under load).

I'm not complaining, my x-type has been a joy for almost 6 yrs and almost 80,000 miles with little to do (clutch and battery), not bad for a car thats now covered almost 180,000. I shall change it soon for .... another 2.2 x type.

Steve

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Well done :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.