Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
I think he went about it the wrong way. He only had to put a clause in the tenancy agreement that Curry was not to be cooked in the property. :-?

Roger

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
That would be seriously interesting and indeed somewhat challenging to enforce Roger.

Interestingly it is not a criminal offence in the UK to ban any group of people from renting a property you own. However racial discrimination by landlords is against civil law.

Either way I would be very surprised if ARLA Propertymark will want to be associated with Mr Wilson and will likely as not remind their Agents to report any inappropriate activity. Self-policing.

This man and his oppressive attitude, not just on his alleged racism, has been well known in the Kent property market for many years.

What has not been mentioned is that despite his very significant involvement in the rental scene he has been black-listed (no pun intended!) by many principled Letting Agents because of his views.

I suspect that Evolution might not be overly impressed by any adverse publicity but, you never know, they might not care as Wilson will be quite an earner for them.

Professional principles ... or profit?

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
That would be seriously interesting and indeed somewhat challenging to enforce Roger.

Interestingly it is not a criminal offence in the UK to ban any group of people from renting a property you own. However racial discrimination by landlords is against civil law.
Yes I know but it works for other items such as No Inflamables to be stored inside the property (taken from a Housing association agreement), No banging nails in the walls etc. Not found until until the tenancy comes to an end and then deposit forfeited. So why wouldn't it work for curry cooking :-D. Using the forfeited deposit to pay for the clean up would work. Anyhow the clause would put off potential tenants wouldn't it:confused:

Roger

G

·
I think that the landlord was having a laugh...how can cooking curry damage a house? My chip pan could do more damage if I left it unattended.

Anyway, remember these signs:

I'll make no comment about the "No Irish" :-D (just kidding) but these signs were supposedly put up by various lodgings in the 60s and 70s.

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-landlord-ordered-not-discriminate-race.html

This is a strange one , you can own a house but have no control over whom you rent it to , I think this
chap is totally right in what he says and I think he is the victim of a show trial .
I would love to know how they plan to enforce their ruling .
Sadly it's true.

But it's just the way he put things in today's blame and accusation culture.

If he had used the term. Black is one thing, even though brown-skinned people resent it and find it offensive.

Any kind of cooking leaves smells and stains, as does smoking.

It's simple to cater for this, just inset a clause in the contract that the tenant must pay for professional deep cleaning and defumigation if necessary, to restore the property to the condition it was given at the start of the tenancy.

And no smoking in the house I think is accepted by law now. The tenants can Ike outside only.

If he finds smoke stains or smells in the house he can demand additional cleaning and defumigation to be paid for.

Only well off people will accept so the problem is solved.

Of course with his income he can say and pay what he wants.

If he's paying for agency management, even at 8% fees, he could open his own agency, put up 2 fingers and make more money too!

Actually, I don't think he's bothered, he's just a simple man doing his thing as he has always done and the law overran him.

More important, does he have fire extinguishers and fire blankets and smoke and O2 and CO2 sensors in each house as he should? :shock:

I doubt it!

·
Registered
22,331 Posts

That's interesting Rowley, how can the groups be identified by landlords without infringement?

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
That's interesting Rowley, how can the groups be identified by landlords without infringement?
Perhaps the best and most common example concerns individuals on Housing Benefit and in the vast majority of cases it is actually the mortgage lenders that are forbidding their landlord borrowers to rent to tenants in this group rather than the landlords being restrictive themselves.

Whilst the Banks, who are clear leaders in the buy-to-let market and are illustrating their disinclination towards these potential tenants, have been accused of discriminating against said group, what they are doing is perfectly within the law.

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
Perhaps the best and most common example concerns individuals on Housing Benefit and in the vast majority of cases it is actually the mortgage lenders that are forbidding their landlord borrowers to rent to tenants in this group rather than the landlords being restrictive themselves.

Whilst the Banks, who are clear leaders in the buy-to-let market and are illustrating their disinclination towards these potential tenants, have been accused of discriminating against said group, what they are doing is perfectly within the law.
Ah, yes we often see "no DSS, no unemployed" etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.