Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys, had the s type for 5 days now 2 days ago the coolant low light came on so yesterday i filled the expansion tank up as it was totally empty, i filled it up to just below the max mark because i was on a hill. the light went out and i was happy, there are no puddles or anything under the car etc. Today while driving the coolant low light came back on and at exactly the same time the hot air from the heaters turned ice cold. The last part leads be to an air bubble or something related but it cant be a coincidene.i checked expansion tank again and there was no hiss when taking off lid so seemed like no trapped air, but bad news the expansion tank was again empty wwith no coolant in it. Again there still hasnt been any signs of a leak under car and around the tank seems dry also.

any ideas guys? would using the bleed valve do a better job than removing the tank lid? excuse my ignorance but i am not mechanically minded at all!

thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
23,736 Posts
Check the oil doesn’t look like caramel because if no leaks under the car then it has to have gone somewhere.

·
Premium Member
23,736 Posts
Have you noticed any white smoke out the back end or are the carpets wet in the front.

·
Registered
S Type 3.0 SE X206 Radiance Red
5,625 Posts
Its either being dumped into the cylinders check for excessive white smoke

Its leaking into the undertray from either a burst pipe or fooked rad which is very common :-D

Any mayo on the oil fill cap?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i checked oil, looked ok and on dipstick its like a golden brown colour like when you first pour it in..it is perplexing. no smoke at all out of the back. the temp needle begins to rise if i put heater on

·
Premium Member
23,736 Posts
You really need to get that checked out. The temperature needle should not rise because you’ve put the heater on.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
More likely a leak than head gasket.

Water in oil is a lot less common these days on HG failures. But if you get a rough start up that can be a sign of water leaking down into the cylinders.

I could not find my leak on my 3.0, but garrage said it was P1...ng out of the radiator.

TT

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rought start up? do you mean trouble starting? that car turns over and starts instantly with no judders or issues turning er i turn key and it goes broom room go...so to speak. also it drivers great apart fromcoolant light being on and overheating if heater is turned on hot. otherwise if the light wasnt on you wouldnt know there is an issue.

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
i checked oil, looked ok and on dipstick its like a golden brown colour like when you first pour it in..it is perplexing
Don't risk guesswork, pop it in to any local mechie for a pressure test and sniff test asap.

Could be anywhere and your engine is too valuable.

·
Registered
69 Posts
You are loosing water! the question is where you either have a leak radiator a hose water pump , heater core etc should be able to see where its coming from may need to remove the under trays and and get under the car with it idling

Leaking heater core will often have the carpets in the car wet.

Heater turned to hot should not cause the car to overheat in fact turning the heater to hot usually had the opposite effect increasing the area of circulation lowers the water temperature, just an idea it may be the heater core that's leaking as when you turn it to hot you are allowing water to circulate through the heater core where the leak may be check your front carpets and the bulkhead.

If you don't have a external leak then it has to be internal cylinder head gasket (cracked head etc unlikely) bigger problem Run the engine with the filler cap off are there air bubbles in the tank if there are your head gaskets all most certainly gone sniff the filler bottle you may be able to smell exhaust gasses in the coolant if the gasket has gone.

Check the exhausts when with the car running any white smoke ,steam or water dripping from exhausts any of which will indicate head gasket failure.

If you are still! not sure any garage will do a quick pressure check to determine head gasket failure or not as the case may be.

Hope you find its a straight forward external leak

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks guys i will do all the checks you have suggested in the morning and try to find the issue or any clues at the very least, And yeah when heater was on the needle went right over,i couldnt stop at the time because i was in traffic, i put temp down as low as it could go and turned fans off and within about 10 seconds the temp needle was back at the middle and that is while still driving along so i didnt even need to stop just turning heater off was enough to sortt the temp.

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Check the Header tank for splits.

Roger

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
today i dropped it at a garage for them to look at tomorrow, i think i did notice a small dripping from car once coolant was refilled and i lifted up bonnet once i was at garage and near the front under the expansion tank there was little puffs of steam/smoke like something was dripping on to something hot. I had to put in 4 litrs of coolant today after it being totally full 3 days ago!!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Looks like you may have a leak from the expansion tank,which seems to be fairly common on these cars or possibly a hose I. either case a much better scenario than an head gasket.

Good luck and keep us informed of the outcome.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yeah thats what i was thinking, i will find out in the morning. Hopefully it will be good news, if its anything major it will be going back to the street car dealer i got it from. After the hassle i had with my Saab i am not messing around too much with trying to fix it.Its a shame because it is in such good condition.

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
yeah thats what i was thinking, i will find out in the morning. Hopefully it will be good news, if its anything major it will be going back to the street car dealer i got it from. After the hassle i had with my Saab i am not messing around too much with trying to fix it.Its a shame because it is in such good condition.
Worst case would be a split radiator, so a couple of hundred quid is worth spending on it, they really are great cars bud, so let's see.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yeah i could live with it being a split radiator or something similar as to be fair i have looed at cars triple the price i paid with shoddy rusty arches or othe issues. i know i have to manage my expectations for a £500 car

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.