Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year my X Type passed the MOT with 2 advisories ...

1:- small amount of corrosion on a brake line
2:- small amount of play in track rod end

Neither of these warranted a fail and on speaking with my mate whos a mechanic he had a quick look and said nothing to worry about just an over zealous MOT examiner

This year it failed the MOT as the rear nearside caliper was weeping a little

but not a mention of the brake line or track rod !!!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Last year my X Type passed the MOT with 2 advisories ...

1:- small amount of corrosion on a brake line
2:- small amount of play in track rod end

Neither of these warranted a fail and on speaking with my mate whos a mechanic he had a quick look and said nothing to worry about just an over zealous MOT examiner

This year it failed the MOT as the rear nearside caliper was weeping a little

but not a mention of the brake line or track rod !!!
Depending on the place, and how busy they are they will spend less or more time looking,

the better your car looks when it rolls up, the less time they'll spend looking for faults! so sometimes things dont appear. The last MOT my missus jag had, didn't notice that about 6 inch of the sill was body filler (dont worry I've welded a new sill in now)

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Depending on the place, and how busy they are they will spend less or more time looking,

the better your car looks when it rolls up, the less time they'll spend looking for faults! so sometimes things dont appear. The last MOT my missus jag had, didn't notice that about 6 inch of the sill was body filler (dont worry I've welded a new sill in now)
Its gone to the same place for last 6 years lol

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
It also depends on the testers opinion of amount of play etc, they go on extensive MOT training courses to learn how and about the tests but can’t teach them opinions of play/movement etc. My guy told me that on his refresher this year they had various set ups of bearings, bushes and ball joints in varying conditions from new to severely worn (not sure if this is mandatory or just his trainer set them up) and all the testers had to say which ones were a pass, advisory or fail! He said that everyone chose a different example to give a pass, advisory and fails on, except the obvious fails of course. It all just depends on the tester and yes, how your car looks when you present it for the test. I’ve used the same guy for the last 3 years and he now knows my car & van inside out, even passed my van with chipped windscreen (in drivers view) on the promise that I replaced it ASAP.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So the car failed its MOT but all was not lost My friendly mechanic told me if I got the caliper he would sort it for me.

Sourced a caliper off the bay in good clean condition and full working order. Mate also told me that the front pads were geting close to needing replacing so got some pads on black friday from euro car parts for under £30

Friday night I dropped the parts off to him and said no hurry as and when you have time .. Sunday morning txt saying cars ready. Ask him how much for doing the job and he says £60 which included MOT That was for doing front pads, replacing rear caliper and bleeding system

Bit of a result I thought :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.