Jaguar Forum banner
1481 - 1500 of 1518 Posts

· Premium Member
2,272 Posts

I think this being a Portfolio is decent value despite the miles.
High mileage cars make my teeth itch and I know for some it isnt an issue but 170k and then £7500 purchase is a high risk on a car that is terribly expensive to maintain if you cant do it yourself.

· Registered
944 Posts
Reasonable price
All depends on how its been maintained and driven by previous 2 owners.

· Premium Member
5,553 Posts
High mileage cars make my teeth itch and I know for some it isnt an issue but 170k and then £7500 purchase is a high risk on a car that is terribly expensive to maintain if you cant do it yourself.
I bought a low miler, paid the premium and despite 7k at the main dealer in the two years prior i have still had a ton of work to do. Swaying away from the premium now. With asking being what it is currently and that being a Portfolio it seems fair to me. Also plenty of leverage to negotiate.

Reactions: restorer

· Premium Member
2,272 Posts
surely the resale is a much smaller market for a car with close to 200k its not just the engine or Gearbox its every single component down to the indicator stalk that has done its work many times over.

· Registered
2003 XJ Super V8
60 Posts
I bought my T5 van at 171k miles which one of my clients bought from new, full VW history and repairs, used as a private ambulance. I've had it 10 years and absolutely nothing has gone wrong bar a aux belt tensioner. Always starts, no matter what. Most reliable car I've ever had! Whereas I've had 60k milers that are proper fooked... I like to buy cheap high milers and fix them and then I have a cheap car that's sorted but that's just me. :geek:

· Registered
905 Posts
Every car seems to have a window wherein things are going wrong and need to be replaced, Example: we had a Fiat Panda 4x4 from new - between 90K and 110K miles it needed a lot replacing each year. Before and after that it just needed services and consumables.
Some stuff is time-aged, some is wear-aged.
Expect X350 to have a later window than a Panda.
On this principle Spacemonkey's policy of higher mileage vehicles makes absolute sense, and Martyn's lower mileage hassles maybe more time-related?

surely the resale is a much smaller market for a car with close to 200k its not just the engine or Gearbox its every single component down to the indicator stalk that has done its work many times over.
At 200K miles many parts will have already been replaced of course.

· Registered
2003 XJ Super V8
60 Posts
That's my theory too. Parts ssem to fall apart after a certain mileage for some vehicles, and other parts just wear over time and heat cycles. I prefer a high miler motorway car that's done the long trips over a low mileage car that's been bashed around town/school run/Tescos. Wouldn't toiuch one of those with a barge pole. Likewise, rather buy a sporty car from an enthusiast who's thrashed it a bit as they've always looked after it with maintenance rather than the 'one lady owner' with a full set of curbed wheels and the original oil.... Jags should be bought from the early retired gent who has garaged it from new and finally traded it in for another. That's what mine was- the old boy bought it new then his son inherited it a month or so before I bought it for £4k with 151k on it. No history apart from the £70k original sales invoice, but very clean with no leaks, and just a few niggles that I'm working through.

OK, I paid too much for my Mini at 92k as I knew that they go pop around 100k and none of that work had been done bar suspension, but it was the exact spec I wanted so grabbed it. So far done both drive shafts and some brakes and I'm still chasing the oil leaks, though I think that's done for now. Last one was the power steering pipes/resevoir, but last week the power steering pump went up in smoke thus speeding up the system overhaul... Once that's done I need to do a slight roof adjustment, and at some point put a new roof on, and the supercharger needs to come off for a service. When I do that the whole front end needs to come off so shall change anything that needs doing while it's all off. Then it should be good for another 100k or so. I paid £3.5k during the early summer but it was a good base to work with on what I consider a rolling resto hobby car that's also my daily and a bloody good laugh to drive.

· Premium Member
5,553 Posts

· Registered
274 Posts
Our '92 Scorpio Wagon had the same colour combo. I wanted a white XJR before finding 50 shades, but I now think a white car needs a much lighter interior than black.

Reactions: FlatCap

· Registered
944 Posts
Inteterested to hear what it goes for.
I dont like the 358 face lift front. Not streamlined.
Black interior also not for me.
But it is an exceptional specimen.
I would hazard a guess at 25- 30k.
Keep us posted f.c.

Reactions: restorer

· Premium Member
5,553 Posts
  • Helpful
Reactions: Sailor and #steve

· Premium Member
6,568 Posts

· Premium Member
5,553 Posts
I thought a pair of doors and the plazzy cill cover then paint, Figured a Grand in my mind.Just been back for a look and will add a front bumper skin.

Reactions: restorer and #steve
1481 - 1500 of 1518 Posts