Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought we would take the Jaaaag out on Monday as we were off to Middleton to see Ed Byrne. I jumped into the car drove round to the front of the house and put the EPB on while I waited for the Missus to come out, except all I got was a dash full of flashing lights! **** ****ity ****. Parking brake failure and no EPB car just rolls away. I've not had a chance to investigate yet but if the actuator has died I believe they are a bit of a pain to do. The last thread I read said the rear suspension needs dropping, there's a whole load of extra work waiting to happen if I have to do that! I've not used the car for a week or so and I am hoping that it is just sticky calipers/ cables but we all know it's the battery :-D

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Check the battery terminals too.

Roger

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Read through Jemp's post from 24th Oct.

Looks like he found an extraordinary flash of genius to solve this issue.

Phil.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I agree with Woody, butchering the bodywork by angle grinding a hole in is a bodge of the highest order in my opinion. Not to mention that it’s dangerous to use an angle grinder on aluminium as it clogs the disc and they can overheat and shatter.

Ben

·
Registered
269 Posts
Personally I wouldn't call it a bodge. It's something that perhaps Jaguar should have done in the first place. If it's done neatly and covered with a removable inspection plate I don't see a problem. Cutting aluminium with a grinder is fine as long as you use a thin steel cutting disc and not a grinding disc.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I wouldn't personally do it with a grinder , I would use an air nibbler that can do up to 6mm in Aluminium , or ......

Alternatively , drill 4 x 10mm holes in the letterbox corners and use a course bladed jigsaw slowly with a paraffin cutting aid.

I wouldn't say it was a lash up either if done nice and neatly , its certainly not in a place that is of a structural concern.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I wouldn't personally do it with a grinder , I would use an air nibbler that can do up to 6mm in Aluminium , or ......

Alternatively , drill 4 x 10mm holes in the letterbox corners and use a course bladed jigsaw slowly with a paraffin cutting aid.

I wouldn't say it was a lash up either if done nice and neatly , its certainly not in a place that is of a structural concern.
I'm inclined to agree Eddie.
When my fuel pump went west in the former X308, fannying around taking the tank out would've seriously pissed me off.
The tank is easy, the union underneath is a complete ********. So I cut the rear shelf to gain access.

That repair was never seen and if the pump ever went again - instant access!

So long as the 'intrusion' isn't safety or obviously cosmetic suicide - what the hell.....

Just my 2c worth....

Phil.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Well on my travels around the t'interwebs I found someone that had done the EPB motor and the thread still has pics on it! Anyway it looks like you can drop the diff down a couple of inches and that allows the motor to come out. So I will start off easy by cleaning and lubing the calipers (the car had been stood a couple of weeks in wet weather) and go from there.

Oops looks like the thread I was looking at was for a different model and the sub frame needs dropping on the x350, come on you sticky calipers/worn pads!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.