Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys. I belive I may well have something wrong with my auto box. I will do my best to describe the problem. The whine appears to be comming from behind the radio as if you are seated in the car and is revs related and not speed related. You can generally hear the whine at lower speeds e.g. town driving about 10mph to 30mph over that then it just gets drowned out with road noise. It seems to go up and down with gear changes which also engine rpms going up and down during gear shifts. I have read on other forums about auto boxes having a hydraulic pump and these have given the same symptoms as I am trying to explain, but I'm not sure if the jaguar gearbox is the same as other manufacturers. Anybody else had similar problems or might know what it could be. :confused::confused::confused: Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
989 Posts
Next time you hear it, try turning the air-con off. It fixed my gearbox whine :)

Well a re-gas did. I was convinced it was the gearbox as well.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats one of the things I did. I shut down the the climate control completely so there were no fans running or anything else and it was still there.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Don't have the whine, but I get the occaisonal thump when shifting into reverse.
I'm going to take mine to have the transmission fluid changed, sealed for life my arse....!

There are so many TSB's about this ZF box, i wouldn't know where to start.
But for sure if your car has full dealer service history, the transmission fluid will never have been changed.

Tony Swash was going through the same thing just recently?

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Cambo. I did my fluid and filter change last year. So I can basically rule that out. As you say there are so many TSB's with the ZF box including reflash for the surge and lurch problems. I to get the occasional thump either into drive or reverse but thats when the revs are higher at start up from cold about 1100-1200rpm only. Mind you when selecting reverse you are throwing everything in the opposite direction so any backlash throughout the system will be taken up and this could give a thump as well.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Just got mine back from ZF and shes running like a dream. The culprit was a sleeve gasket C2C39599, ZF 0501-216-272. The techie told me that the gasket inside perishes, its orange colour, an they now replace them with a black one. No need for a new sump filter, just new oil. The 'whooping noise' on kickdown has completely gone and the gear changes are very smooth. My jag has 64K km but apparently you can only do an oil change up to 100k km. the price of the oil change was 60% cheaper that of the dealer.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Had my oil changed at 90K (miles) the sump too, and my Indie thought that was OK.
The squalk has definately gone that's for sure.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Well that was what ZF told me as they wanted to make sure of the mileage before booking it in. May have been the additive fix they were on about. Had a few bursts up to 200 and she feels good.
Oops England have scored a try!!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.