Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got back home last night to find the back of my driver's side door mirror in my porch. Looks like someone put it there after it got knocked off the Jaguar. I think I might need a replacement as a couple of the plastic tabs loo broken
But, the autofold does not seem to work so really want to look at fixing all the motors before putting a replacement back on. Any advice on this?

· Premium Member
23,854 Posts
Manually fold them inwards and then try again. If they get knocked they lose their way a bit and need help remembering.:mrgreen:

· Registered
2,071 Posts
Manually fold them inwards and then try again. If they get knocked they lose their way a bit and need help remembering.:mrgreen:
I had a similar incident a couple of weeks back.

Gentle manipulation plus liberal application of duck oil - eventually, mine worked again.

Real sweethearts, the general public - caring people.......

Phil.

· Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Used some cleaner and then regreased the driver's side mirror before putting the cover back on. Fortunately, not too badly damaged. Squirted some more into the passenger one. Tested the autofold and a bit of movement from the driver's side but nothing from the passenger side. But can now manually fold them at least.
Ultimately, I think it will be a case of replacement.

· Registered
2,071 Posts
Ouch - not cheap :(.

Sorry to hear that buddy - now I'm suffering from a kind of survivor guilt.....

I would keep plugging away - if the mechanism hasn't been used much, it takes quite a while to work in chemicals to clear out the corrosion and lubricate. Mine took a couple of visits with penetrating fluid and duck oil before my driver's side worked correctly.

Phil.

· Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I have seen a passenger side on on ebay for around £60. It is stated as fully working and as it is my passenger side one that does not work at all, perhaps I should get that replacement and continue with the cleaning and greasing of the driver side mirror as I am getting a little movement there now. Need to be sure that the potential replacement have the auto dimming feature and any other similar functions are also there. Hoping it will not be like the rear view mirror.

· Registered
2,071 Posts
Yep - I was expecting £150 as I've seen one recently.

£60 sounds like a bargain and the philosophy of repairing the old one is sound too.

Phil.

· Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Unfortunately that £60 one has disappeared of the face of the earth. Looks like carrying on trying to repair.

Might have made progress with the driver side as that has started to move. Not looking good for the near side though, absolutely static.

· Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like the repair on the driver's side mirror has been successful as it is now folding as it should. A good clean with the contact cleaner fluid from Halfords and a good spray of the lubrication grease seems to have got it working. At least I will only need to replace the passenger side. Even some of the adjustment does not work there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.