Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Odd problems with my Jaguar today.
This morning after stopping for petrol, on start Main Display showed IPhone had full signal 5 bars, normally shows just one.
Lunchtime after, a short journey Main Display showed Phone Off, tried to turn on from Car Display without luck.
After work tonight car first refused to turn over and start, appeared dead, after a retry less than a minute later, Car started but
dash showed time reset and dash display telling me to press footbrake and Electronic Brake ,which I did.
Main Display showed a pin number was required, and refused to engage audio, sat nav, climate etc.
Assumed this was the 4 digit radio code, which I entered and all options were available again.
Replaced battery for the recommended one Varta H3? a year ago, first sign of problems since fitted.
I know low voltage can cause many issues but surprised at these?
My journeys are usually short and assume with extra use of lights, heater etc that battery has again been stressed.
considering C-Tek Battery conditioner, not sure which one ?
Any thoughts.

·
Premium Member
23,824 Posts
Definitely get yourself a CTEK. Fully charge it first and then use it once per week. Short journeys in these colder temperatures are going to kill your battery otherwise.

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
Also check the connections on the battery because it looks like you had a hard reset due to discconnected battery.

I have found that they can come loose but look ok

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
considering C-Tek Battery conditioner, not sure which one ?
Any thoughts.
What are the choices and prices?

C-Tek has the Recondition cycle for attempts to recover dead, tired or "sulphated" batteries whereas others I've looked at are just simple ones.

Plus, they go through proper charge cycles of several stages for the type and state of the connected battery and show which stage they are at.

And they handle calcium alloy plate batteries as well as AGM batteries as well as old tech batteries automatically but really do know which is which, adapting the charge cycle, mode, and voltage. Old lead/antimony plate batteries need only 13.6 volts to top up, whereas calcium plate and AGM (Absorbent/Absorbed (in) Glass(fibre) Matt(ing)) where the acid is absorbed in a thick glassfibre mat, need 14.4 volts to "accept" chsrge, and AGM need something additional or slightly different that I can't remember.

There are also Gel batteries, where the acid is indeed a jelly, which are used in dry cell applications, not in cars.

I'm not sure of what are called "Start-Stop" batteries but my trust is in C-Tek.

In the C-Tek range the MXS 5 is popular for car use, and there is also the MXS 7.

The 5 and 7 are the maximum charging current, 5 Amps and 7 Amps. Batteries can draw this much when they are discharged, reducing as they charge towards full capacity.

The MXS 5 is good for all car batteries but read up first.

The MXS 7 is popular with caravaners.

Start here and read up and get the best price for the one you choose: http://www.ctek.com

The MXS 5 sells for around £60 and the MXS 7 for around £100, so don't go paying more.

There is also an MXS 3.8 but it's low for our size car batteries in.my opinion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just Checked battery connections, negative clamp was loose , so have retightened.
looks as if battery terminal is tapered, with a circular clamp on negative cable.
So perhaps not the greatest of fits.
ducmom looks as if you found the reason for temporary disconnection.
will invest in a C-Tek asap.

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
Yes most battery terminals are tapered, thicker at the bottom Graham, and so is the original terminal clamp in the car cables.

Have yours been changed?

.PS- I'm being cagey, ALL the battery terminals I've seen are either tapered, or flat lugs.

There might be others but after 30+ cars, "Frankly, my dear... I don't give a damn"!

And I'm Gone, With the Wind! ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.