Battery problems already?

gpaolo79

Reaction score
:cautious: they didn't want to keep the car saying that they need three days to test the battery and I have only two days before I need it... for them it's normal that I drive 20 miles and the moment I switch off the engine I get the low battery warning. Ridicolous.
So I need to bring it back in January. Their suggestion for leaving it three weeks at the airport? Call the rescue if it doesn't start. What a genius...

Wolfie1

Reaction score
If under warranty you need to get that into the dealer and ask for it to be put on a diagnostic charge, quite often doing a normal charge and test can give you a “good battery” result but with the diagnostic charger with the same battery you can get a “replace battery“ result as its a more thorough test, diagnostic charge can be done overnight

PScott543

Reaction score
Before wasting time leaving the car with a dealer, who will only put the car on charge, give it back to you and wait to see if it's OK, I would give it a proper charge with a decent charger.My XF has been a bit like this all year because its been used less than normal. Low battery warning every few weeks if not used or charged. I just plug on the Optimate for 24 hours and its fine for at least a couple of weeks of no use.

Of course, if you allowed the battery to get too low, and anything under 12v is low, it could well be unrecoverable.

MrKis

Reaction score
Somewhere like Halfords will load test it for free. I imagine the dealer did this already but worth a try.
The car will most probably require the BMS to be reset after changing the battery. I think you might need the dealer for that.

PhilipRW

Reaction score
I don't think its wholly fair to say Jaguar will just put the battery on charge. They will probably test your battery using their EXP1080 Battery Tester. This takes the technician through up to six stages. Only if it fails all six will they consider a warranty claim.

Here's their report on my battery:
Battery test.jpg.jpg
My battery went to Step 2a which it apparently passed. The car was therefore returned with "No manufacturing defect identified with battery, therefore, no battery claim should be submitted". The reality is the battery is in poor condition: The resting voltage is always below 12V, stop-start has not kicked at all for three months, a sure sign that voltage is low, and this morning after a week when the car wasn't used it failed to start.

So, going back to their report: "no manufacturing defect identified". That doesn't mean that the battery has not been abused by the car owner. That will be their fall back position if you press them though it is, of course, un proven and un provable.

Sadly, their test equipment and procedures are set up to avoid warranty claims in all but extreme circumstances. But if I want a reliable car I will have to go and buy a new battery, nevertheless.

Reaction score
It's my experience that car batteries last about 4 years, plus or minus. Nowadays, maybe 5 or 6, but yours may be on the minus side. Walmart and the parts houses will test the battery free. Even if they test it OK, if the problem comes back I'd have the battery changed.

Wolfie1

Reaction score
Once the battery has been replaced the battery thr replace battery routine requires running via sdd or pathfinder depending on the year, this will then reset the battery monitoring system

MrKis

Reaction score
And then, if the car is not daily driven or is left for periods, maybe 3-4 days. I'd buy a smart battery maintainer, which will prevent any issues returning and if you keep that connected once a week, your battery will last 8-10 years, maybe more.
A smart battery charger will simulate charging in the same way using the car does, rather than just supply current to the battery.

gpaolo79

Reaction score
Hi all, sorry, I never received notifications for new replies??
Well, as I mentioned in my last post, they didn't keep the car back in December because it would have taken three days to test the battery.
Today they picked up the car at 9AM and at 3PM I got a call from the garage with an update on its status. First thing they said, they checked the battery and it was fine, it's just that the car detects that I do few miles and raises the alarm. Again, same story.
I told her I checked the voltage and was low. That I kept the car in charge and after unplugging it the voltage was back at 12V. She put me on hold for a few moment and said that they have tested the battery and result was fine. Even more. They tested the battery TWICE and both times it was fine.
So, I told her, I'm rather puzzled. Her colleague told me in December that they could not keep the car because they needed three day for the battery test and now she's telling me that they did it twice in a few hours?
I have the strong feeling that they are trying to sell me some story here.
Besides, I had to inflate one wheel three times in 6 months. No issue found.
I had to drive for 1h30 with the heating fan not working last week. No issue found.
Never had this experience with that dealer. I fear they have a lot of good people on furlough and they have left only the cheap ones there working.

gpaolo79

Reaction score
I don't think its wholly fair to say Jaguar will just put the battery on charge. They will probably test your battery using their EXP1080 Battery Tester. This takes the technician through up to six stages. Only if it fails all six will they consider a warranty claim.
That is very interesting, thanks. In my case, they claim to have done both test (first charge and retest, and battery good) in... 5 hours? Is it realistic?

My battery went to Step 2a which it apparently passed. The car was therefore returned with "No manufacturing defect identified with battery, therefore, no battery claim should be submitted". The reality is the battery is in poor condition: The resting voltage is always below 12V, stop-start has not kicked at all for three months, a sure sign that voltage is low, and this morning after a week when the car wasn't used it failed to start.

So, going back to their report: "no manufacturing defect identified". That doesn't mean that the battery has not been abused by the car owner. That will be their fall back position if you press them though it is, of course, un proven and un provable.

Sadly, their test equipment and procedures are set up to avoid warranty claims in all but extreme circumstances. But if I want a reliable car I will have to go and buy a new battery, nevertheless.

Yes, that is what I told them. Whatever they try to say, that battery is not working properly any more and I'm going to put a new one.
Now, I have never had anyone changing the battery in any of my car, but I never had one of these computers on wheel either. Is it worth to endure the robbery of labour charge for a battery replacement because there is some obscure software process to run in the car to tell it that there is a new battery, or is it doable? I was rather puzzled by the presence of that steel bar on top of the battery, screwed on both sides of the car.