Battery problems already?

gpaolo79

Reaction score
Yes, it will need the AGM battery with the stop-start. I was looking at the models and they are around the £200 range. They would sell the battery for £240+VAT, the rest is work, priced almost 10 times what I get per hour, and I send stuff to space. I should definitely change job. :cautious:
There are a few stand alone diagnostic/reset tools on the market, they claim to be compatible with all Jaguar models but for some reason the list stops at the F-Pace. I wonder if they have changed the system or what...
I will try to ask around. I did some similar work on my dad's X3 when it looked that I was going to take it to UK, with the OBD cable and their software: it was all very well documented and still quite scary. Here I can't find any information on this model and I can see already that making a mistake with the software would cost me more than my new kitchen.
I didn't check the drain because I didn't want to disconnect the battery, but I measured the voltage and even after leaving it plugged to the charger, it drops immediately to 12V.

MrKis

Reaction score
Does sound like a dodgy battery. Pity it doesn't completely fail in some way, then you could force Jag to change it.
Maybe pathfinder starts with the E-pace.
Some people say that the BMS will auto reset. Not sure myself.

gpaolo79

Reaction score
Some people say that the BMS will auto reset. Not sure myself.
I wouldn't bet on it. Already with older cars you had to reset it.
What worries me is that, reading around, you find people saying that you need to reset a lot of other things too, but it's not really clear. Some says yes, some says no, some says yes but then it's not for the E-Pace... I would have imagine that after three years there were more information around. F-Pace seems a lot more common on forums and tools...

MrKis

Reaction score
Yes, forums can be a little quiet on newer cars.
I can't think of anything else that would need to be reset from changing the battery. Most of the other things discussed would be from disconnecting the battery. Things like the windows and radio pre-sets etc. These things are designed to be done by the end user, so they should be discussed in the manual. Straightforward I imagine.

gpaolo79

Reaction score
I'll have a look at the manual. But on one forum, although for another Jaguar model, they were saying that the accelerator needs to be recalibrated to get the full scale and not doing so will trigger at some point some alarm, etc. All very vague, that's what worries me. And obviously I can't ask to the dealer :confused:

MrKis

Reaction score
I understand.
I still think that any calibration of things such as windows or accelerators will be straight forward and will happen during normal use.
JLR will understand that as cars go out of warranty, batteries are going to go flat. Independent garages are going to be used, owners are going to disconnect them for various reasons. I doubt they would trip people up too much with a simple battery disconnect. Any procedures would also add the their own service costs.
Sorry I can't give you a more accurate answer. I can tell you that officially, even on cars as old as mine, there are several resets to do after a battery disconnect. Accelerator might be as simple as just pressing it down all the way.
However, in practice, the car learns them through normal operation.
You could try downloading a workshop manual, that will tell you for certain.

Wolfie1

Reaction score
The battery monitoring system is the only thing that needs reset, if your checking for a drain, you need to push down the bonnet release latches with a screwdriver as the bonnet needs to be up then wait until the car goes to sleep (wait until the light on the hazard switch goes off) then disconnect the live terminal and any more drain than 0.3a is a problem