Battery problems now

macblack

Reaction score
I just thought I would leave a comment to close this thread in the hope it helps anyone else.

Looks like AntF and JovieV8 was spot on and it wasn't a battery issue at all but the brake pedal switch.

Used the car the last couple of days and no problem, as in I'm not leaving my foot on the brake when I switch the car off and so no issue when it comes to starting.

I suppose the new battery isn't a waste considering the last one was the original (9 years old).

I think what threw me is the battery "appearing" to be weak, this came from it reading 12.3v (car on, engine off), but I think this reading is perfectly normal.

The original battery showed this voltage along with the 2 new batteries and also my wife's Renault (with start/stop), they all measured 12.3v (car on, engine off).

Anyway, everything is working great now plus stop/start is working for the first time since I got the car!

When it comes to the brake pedal switch, I'm thinking of giving it a blast with deoxit anyone tried this?

sportbrake_phil

Reaction score
OK, I connected the positive to the battery terminal and as suggested the negative to the ground on the wheel arch as shown below and I've started the recharge.

1) The charger I've got Noco Genius 1 says it takes 22.5 hours to charge a 30Ah battery, mine is 95Ah so is this suggesting 50+ hours to charge, would this be right?

2) Pop quiz, can anyone guess why my start/stop has never worked (clue: it's in the image)?
I removed the terminal cover on the smaller battery as I saw a little corrosion to find the terminal is cracked and wobbling about! I've used the car without start/stop to date so is it OK to just isolation this terminal?

View attachment 35299
That looks like the t-piece in the vent pipe, almost in shot on the left, that pipe is supposed to connect to the vent holes on both batteries to safely vent the hydrogen gas given off when the batteries are charging outside the car. ( I can see it's connected to the small battery with the red elbow, but seems disconnected from the large battery )

Never see a terminal break like that! Maybe the small battery has seriously failed, and is leaking, I'd suggest disconnecting the negative cable from the small battery until you can get the clamp replaced ( you could unbolt the cable from the battery and at the body end to get it out the way. ), to avoid any heating/burning from the bad connection that no doubt exists due to the broken clamp. BTW you'll find an Exide EK151 is a drop in replacement for the small battery.

macblack

Reaction score
Thanks phil,

That tube is only connected to the smaller battery. I just assumed as Halfords (Tyres on the drive) fitted the new (main) battery that the vent wasn't needed as it was a sealed battery?

For the stop/start battery I cleaned the terminal with baking soda and it tightened up no problem, I've been keeping an eye on it and it seems fine, stop start has been working flawlessly since I reconnected it.

GeoffR

Reaction score
Even if it is working perfectly I would still replace the cable, that clamp can’t be properly secure as it is.

sportbrake_phil

Reaction score
Thanks phil,

That tube is only connected to the smaller battery. I just assumed as Halfords (Tyres on the drive) fitted the new (main) battery that the vent wasn't needed as it was a sealed battery?

For the stop/start battery I cleaned the terminal with baking soda and it tightened up no problem, I've been keeping an eye on it and it seems fine, stop start has been working flawlessly since I reconnected it.
The tube should be connected to both batteries, you'll hopefully find a hole to push it in at the end of the large battery nearest the small battery. ( It's possible it may have a plug in that can be moved to a similar hole in the other end of the battery ) As far as I understand there is no such thing as a sealed battery as far as venting hydrogen is concerned, even though AGM batteries are make to not leak acid in any orientation ( at least in theory ), they still have a vent for hydrogen gas that is produced during charging. In the unlikely event that there is not a vent hole at that end of the battery you should contact halfords as they most likely sold you the wrong battery, or failed to suitably adjust the vent pipework to safely vent it. Don't forget hydrogen is highly flammable, to the point of pretty much being explosive, so you really don't want it building up in your car! I'm sure you've heard of the Hindenburg disaster.

That battery terminal looked like it had a large crack on the photo, was that just a strand of something black across it?

macblack

Reaction score
I don't know what it looked like before Tyres on the drive changed the battery but you can see in this image the vent tube to the main battery has been cut!
20201104_133436955_iOS (2).jpg
The red vent plug going into the small battery is actually hanging out as well!

I think there's a vent port on the side of the main battery (you can see just it on the left of the terminal). So I think I need to either buy a tube and connector or get Tyres on the drive to come and fix it?

I just wonder why they would have just left it if its dangerous?

As for the cracked terminal on the smaller battery, I know it needs replacing, but for now I cleaned it and tightened it up.

Last edited:

sportbrake_phil

Reaction score
I don't know what it looked like before Tyres on the drive changed the battery but you can see in this image the vent tube to the main battery has been cut!
View attachment 35484
The red vent plug going into the small battery is actually hanging out as well!

I think there's a vent port on the side of the main battery (you can see just it on the left of the terminal). So I think I need to either buy a tube and connector or get Tyres on the drive to come and fix it?

I just wonder why they would have just left it if its dangerous?

As for the cracked terminal on the smaller battery, I know it needs replacing, but for now I cleaned it and tightened it up.
It should have another one of those red elbows, just had a look at my car, and the elbow coming out of the small battery is about half a turn around from where the one on your car is, which puts the white splitting block, roughly between the two battery terminals, and allows the other red elbow to turn from the then roughly vertical pipe into the end of the battery. You can probably find an elbow on ebay, I think main dealers will only sell the complete pipe assembly, but it seems halfords should never have left it like that, especially without bringing it to your attention!

There'd normally be a terminal cover on the positive for the large battery, perhaps they left that on your old battery too.

It seems either they don't know what they're doing or don't mind ignoring safety related parts of the job!

I think you should be concerned that the cracked terminal may not make good connection and could overheat / cause a wiring fire. Not a good combination with a hydrogen leak!

It looks like that is a reasonably simple cable looking at the photo at https://euroauto.ru/part/used/70182680/ so probably isn't too bad to change, though you probably don't want to ask halfords!

macblack

Reaction score
The tube should be connected to both batteries, you'll hopefully find a hole to push it in at the end of the large battery nearest the small battery. ( It's possible it may have a plug in that can be moved to a similar hole in the other end of the battery ) As far as I understand there is no such thing as a sealed battery as far as venting hydrogen is concerned, even though AGM batteries are make to not leak acid in any orientation ( at least in theory ), they still have a vent for hydrogen gas that is produced during charging. In the unlikely event that there is not a vent hole at that end of the battery you should contact halfords as they most likely sold you the wrong battery, or failed to suitably adjust the vent pipework to safely vent it. Don't forget hydrogen is highly flammable, to the point of pretty much being explosive, so you really don't want it building up in your car! I'm sure you've heard of the Hindenburg disaster.

That battery terminal looked like it had a large crack on the photo, was that just a strand of something black across it?
Thanks so much Phil, your eagle eye and advice is much appreciated! I spoke to TyresOnTheDrive and they sent someone out within 45 mins to fix the problem!

it’s just like you described, there was a missing elbow from the main battery vent to the white plastic junction.

thanks for the link for the stop/start terminal, I’ll look into getting that ordered.