Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although my battery has been tested by a garage, I am still getting low battery warning messages. The vents don't always open and the screen looks dark. I had a new battery 2 - 3 years ago but I am told that as it wasn't from a Jaguar garage, the battery level indicator would not have been reset. It therefore 'assuming' that after this time, the battery will be low and is putting in measures to save power although it is fine. Is this correct?

· Premium Member
XJ Autobiography
695 Posts
Although my battery has been tested by a garage, I am still getting low battery warning messages. The vents don't always open and the screen looks dark. I had a new battery 2 - 3 years ago but I am told that as it wasn't from a Jaguar garage, the battery level indicator would not have been reset. It therefore 'assuming' that after this time, the battery will be low and is putting in measures to save power although it is fine. Is this correct?
That sounds to me like salesman's bull****. Any make of battery should work perfectly well on your XF providing it is of the correct size. Jaguar will no doubt tell you that they need to re-program the battery monitor but many members on here have changed the battery without any problems and after time the battery monitor should reset itself (a matter of a few days at most).
What exactly are the low battery warnings, if it is the warning that "everything will shut down in three minutes if the engine is not started" warning, there is nothing to worry about. My first XF did that from day 1 and was fine when I sold it 2.5 years later. There is another warning that the battery in the key fob is low, again not a problem. The only other battery warning I know of is the red symbol in the information centre between the speedo and the rev counter and that should be taken more seriously.
Whatever the warning, rest assured it is not because you did not buy a genuine Jaguar battery. By the way, Jaguar do not make batteries, it will be a major brand re-badged.

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for reply. Just to expand on the detail, I had the battery tested by Halfords yesterday who said the battery was ok and it might be due to short journeys. My friend told me that it had to be reset from researching the internet. Basically I keep getting warning messages that the battery is low and the entertainment system will shut down on the main screen. I get messages continually on the dashboard that the key fob is low. The vents don't shut or open and there is no warm air from the heater.

· Premium Member
23,854 Posts
Nev, try fully charging the battery overnight first. Change the batteries in the fobs.
If you do short journeys then get yourself a CTEK maintainer and hook it up at the weekend and you should then be ok.

· Registered
3,108 Posts
Neville, what XF do you have, what mileage do you do, and what sort of journeys are they?

This is certainly the time of year for battery related problems, and a perfectly healthy battery can become discharged if the car is not used every day and/or doing short journeys. If it is allowed to become discharged for long it will reach the point where it will no longer regain its’ health!

I agree with Jim: I put my XK on the CTEK battery conditioner every week in order to avoid these issues.

· Registered
2,103 Posts
Hi, I have changed my battery 3 times now and never had to reset anything except the windows and EPB. Phil

· Registered
3,108 Posts
Those 2 mile journeys are dreadful for the car. They are almost certainly the cause of your problems, and may also lead to DPF issues which are potentially much more serious.

You should really consider cycling to and from work, though I appreciate that many of us don’t do things that we would be well advised to consider!

Something like a Renault Zoe would be a great alternative, keeping the Jaguar on a CTEK or similar, for use at weekends.

· Registered
3,108 Posts
I had to clear the DPF last week.
In your working week you are doing 20 two mile trips in a row. Your battery condition will be deteriorating every day, and the exhaust will never be hot enough to do a DPF regeneration.

Even though the weekend use may help, I really think that you should try to find some other way of getting to and from work!

· Registered
20 Posts
Don't know if it is applicable, but I had a similar situation. The low voltage light kept coming on occasionally. SInce it was a CPO, I took it to the dealer. Turned out it was a battery cable. Visually, there was no sign of deterioration, but replacing it solved the problem.

· Registered
3,108 Posts
Your battery may be perfectly healthy, but still be in a state of low charge due to repeated short journeys.

Plug it into a battery conditioner for at least 24 hours, and see whether that makes a difference.

· Registered
3,108 Posts
A 24 hour charge on a battery conditioner would top up your battery, but do nothing for your DPF.

A ride out tonight should help both, if it is at motorway speeds for a couple of hours. If you can’t manage that, keep the revs up to 3000rpm for a good half hour at least.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.