Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a sense check as it's raining outside.

Missus went to fill up today. On the way back she started getting a stutter. I took it round the block when she got back, major stutter, turbo whooshing, side order of black smoke. First thought was the intercooler pipe to the EGR and most threads in a search seem to back up these thoughts.

Anything else I should be considering? There are no engine lights or codes.

I suppose I should be grateful that the original has lasted 130k miles.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Sounds like it's leak air after the turbo somewhere, the pipe under the EGR is prime suspect, though there are others that can split or the clips can rust and the intake pipes pop off.

It does whoosh, so the leak sounds tight like a split rather than air just blowing out of a disconnected pipe.
If a pipe has popped off, it usually just sounds like a burping tractor!

If it is the prime suspect, it's not alway easy to see the spilt with it on the car, you often need to remove it and inspect it.
Bind up the split with gaffer tape and refit it until you get a new one, Ebay for £58 is about the cheapest.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Also, before you start, my tip is to buy yourself four stainless jubilee clips (55-75mm seemed to fit). They only cost a few quid and will give you that piece of mind that they're not going to rust away. The very bottom one is the prime one to go first but as you have to pipe off, you might as well change them all.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just been to check, pulled off the rubber pipe below the EGR and it's ok. Had the missus give it a good old rev while I had my head under there and the hiss sounds like it's more towards the back of the engine, below the turbo somewhere.
Any rubber hoses at that side of the engine? I guess I'll have to take off the undertray for a closer look.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
The EGR cooler is down the back, think someone posted a while ago of the pipe splitting.
Looks something like this under the turbo
FORD MONDEO MK3 2.0 TDCI 115 EGR VALVE COOLER 2S7Q-9F464-AA | eBay

The other end of it plumbs into the EGR around the front, the pipe bends around the the right end of the engine (as you stand in front look under the bonnet)

I guess if it's leaking, it could leak off air out of it, giving you the stutter, smoke, whoosh etc.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All sorted now. It was the pipe on the other side of the intercooler that connects to the metal pipe from the turbo (under the battery box). Found it once the undertray was off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.