Jaguar Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2005 XJ6 SE
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Holidays and bodywork bodging...

TLDR - tight Yorkshire Jag owner goes on holiday, drives down some inappropriate roads and applies some paint to car with mixed results...

A week away on Anglesey, which was lovely. Some good driving roads, but...

Cloud Sky Plant Building Property

...except for the half mile of bramble and bracken lined, poorly surfaced, single track road to and from the cottage. Ideal for scratching nice paintwork.

Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape Road surface

Still, once I got home, I gave the Jaaag a good wash, polish and wax which removed all scratches (of which there weren't many).

I don't know about anyone else, but sometimes the closer you look at bodywork, the more unpleasant bits you uncover...

The two approaches to this are to get it done correctly (££) or bodge it. As I don't have unlimited funds, sometimes bodging it is a good option - you can stop small imperfections getting worse and (sometimes) the results can surprise at a bare minimum of cost.

I had noticed a small amount of corrosion at the bottom of the passenger rear door, partially hidden by the door seal:

Automotive tire Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Composite material

It's only going to get worse, so better to try and deal with it now.

Sand:

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tire Vehicle Car

Prime (applied with paint brush, yes I know...):

Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive design Automotive exterior Material property

Paint (touch up):

Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Automotive design

After lacquer:

Grille Automotive tire Bumper Rim Automotive lighting

It's not going to win any prizes, but it's much better than it was and it should not get any worse.

Another bit - the underside of the boot lid (where it meets the rear window seal). This has been bugging me for a while. Today I dealt with it. I suspect that some boot lid corrosion issues start and then creep over to a more visible area. Mine was down to bare metal in places.

Hood Automotive tire Wood Automotive lighting Textile

Sand, primer and paint in my climate controlled bodyshop:
Hood Automotive lighting Window Automotive tire Motor vehicle

To be continued...

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 XJ6 SE
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
To say I'm pleased with the results would be an understatement:

Automotive lighting Wood Automotive design Automotive exterior Publication

I think once the paint has hardened, I'll apply some helicopter tape to this area to try and improve it's resistance to corrosion still further.

Automotive parking light Car Plant Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

I also had the geometry checked over (backstory - I replaced most of the suspension bushes with aftermarket items two years ago and wanted to check that a, the tracking was bob on and b, that the bushes were holding up):

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

The good news is that the bushes are holding up, the bad news (if it can be called that) is that the tracking is better but not quite right, even after adjustment. I was there for over 4 hours. Some adjustments eg. right rear camber couldn't be adjusted and right front camber was as good as it could be, but I'll take it back to be tweaked this week.

Product Azure Font Aqua Material property

While I had the tracking done, I had a good look underneath. Doesn't look too bad, but could do with a bit more preventative work here:

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive exterior Automotive fuel system

And there we go. End of report. As always, thank you for reading, comments welcome!

Cloud Automotive parking light Sky Car Wheel

·
Premium Member
6,398 Posts
Nice one Emlyn, another great bit of work and yes I too would be very satisfied with an outcome as good to any paintwork I tackled.

Ordered mine and FC's s/s washers today, £26.63 for the four, delivered.

Been and had a quick butchers under mine at the rear, mainly to see what if any of yesterday's 300 mile blast has exacerbated my weeping pinion seal.

Seems as dry as when I cleaned it.

Whilst there I noticed the NVH brace would be visible from a distance to anyone behind whilst on the road, scratch the black, I'll also be having mine powder coated red.

Rich

·
Registered
2005 XJ6 SE
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Finishing up on the above painting.

Mark out the curve of the bootlid:

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

Then cobble-together a tool to cut a 10mm wide strip of helicopter tape:

Wood Road surface Asphalt Bumper Floor

Which actually worked:

Automotive exterior Electrical wiring Space Engineering Cable

And attached the strip on to the bootlid (I've done all the across where the bootlid seals against the rubber seal), This is the best picture I have:

Wood Rim Automotive exterior Tints and shades Vehicle door

Who knows how it'll last. But it's worth a go, I reckon...

·
Registered
2005 XJ6 SE
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Your subframe looks in remarkably good shape compared to mine.
Thank you, it didn't start like that when I first bought the car:

Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood Car

Sanding down/painting and regular waxing is the best way forward I think (if you're not planning a full refurb). I reckon that the rear subframe isn't as protected from the elements as the front one, so the lower parts of it especially suffer. But on the plus side, they're easily accessible and can be protected. I'd be interested to see how you get on!

With the recent weather being too hot to fettle, I did an easy job I'd been meaning to do for a while - tart up the second key:

Car alarm Peripheral Input device Gadget Wood

Along with the logos having worn off, the plastic body was pretty battered and grimy. I bought a new replacement key off ebay and swapped over all the main bits:

Wood Guitar accessory Automotive tire Bumper Auto part

Looks like new again now:

Car alarm Automotive lighting Wood Communication Device Input device

·
Registered
2005 XJ6 SE
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Took the Jag for a weekend away to the Lake District. Fabulous time. Saw this beauty in the hotel car park:

Newly restored 1957 Porsche 356.

Had a brief chat with the owner - 964 engine, reduced down to 4 cylinders - 2.4 litre producing around 210bhp. It looked utterly stunning and sounded great! Built by Emory over in the USA

He was doing the North Coast 500 in it and set off to Inverness in the pouring rain...

Car Land vehicle Wheel Tire Vehicle

And also this, once common, now rare Morris van, again in lovely condition.

Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

Even dragged my long suffering wife to an industrial museum at Threlkeld. Well worth a visit if you like old stuff:

Train Cloud Sky Plant Wheel

Cloud Sky Mountain Plant Ecoregion

Of course, no trip would be complete without a car-related issue of some sort. This trip was no different. CDC error on the CD multiplayer this time.

A dismantling/lubrication of the multiplayer with some silicone grease on some of the critical components seems to have fixed it though (no photos of the full dismantling, but there's plenty of info on youtube etc about what to do to fix these alpine multiplayers):

Gear shift Hood Motor vehicle Car Steering wheel

·
Registered
2005 XJ6 SE
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Recently I've been having a slight vibration under braking. Then I was going down Garrowby Hill (very steep hill in God's own country of Yorkshire for those not in the know) and experienced horrendous vibration under heavy braking. My discs were replaced three years ago (Berkshire Jag Components) and had done around 17k miles, which certainly isn't mega mileage, but I guessed the discs were the cause, so decided to just replace them to see how it went. Living in Yorkshire means that I'm contractually obliged to go for the cheapest option available - Juratek discs of the old 'bay of dreams' for £92 for front and rear discs. I was pleasantly surprised when they arrived next day. Seemed decent quality too (from my limited experience).

I replaced them myself (again another first for me) and the vibration is now gone:

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Locking hubs Vehicle brake

Brake pads had plenty of life left in them, so no need to replace them just yet.

Then I went for a nice drive over the North York Moors on a Sunday morning, nice and early. Great roads, no traffic and vibrations all gone, even under heavy braking! What could be better?

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle

Automotive parking light Car Tire Cloud Land vehicle

I happened to spot this stunning Daimler this morning. Our XJ's ancestor. Looked in fabulous condition. No wonder they were such a hit when they were first launched:

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Cloud Vehicle

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Vehicle registration plate

It might look dog-shit brown in the photos, but was a stunning copper metallic in the flesh!

And, at the risk of being burnt at the stake for posting a non-Jag related photo on this forum, also spotted a dream car of mine (chest wig optional):

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

No post would be complete without a new fault, now would it? My passenger-side wing mirror refused to dip yesterday. So next job is to strip it and lubricate...

·
Registered
620 Posts
What spec and colour is your car?
It looks very much like mine except an xj6 not 8. Also 2005

·
Registered
2005 XJ6 SE
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Mine's an ex-Jaguar (junior) management car. I'm guessing that because the model wasn't such a hit as Jaguar had hoped, they palmed off quite a few to their management team. Colour is Platinum Silver I think, SE spec, dove grey interior with sat-nav and heated seats, front parking sensors and headlight washers. Wish I'd gone for the 4.2 V8 in hindsight, but it's a hell of a lot better than a Skoda (my last car).

·
Registered
620 Posts
Well we share same paint -platinum (mdz)
Inside mine is champagne.
No front parking sensors or headlight washers but i have a sunroof, phone and tv function. 3.6 v8.

·
Registered
2005 XJ6 SE
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Yep, mine is MDZ too! Due to the British weather (and a lack of a garage), a sunroof is the one thing that I wanted to avoid when looking for a Jaaag (or any car tbh). No TV or phone in mine. I have a cassette player though (must be one of the last cars fitted with a cassette player?). Good fun to buy old cassettes off ebay to listen to!

·
Registered
2003 XJ Super V8
24 Posts
I must admit I crossed all 12 fingers when I opened my roof for the first time having read all the doom on JLR sunroofs.. Luckily it works faultlessly.. Also have a cassette player with a free Spanish music cassette in it. And a CD changer that's very sensitive to scratches. Thank god for a decent FM bluetooth transmitter

21 - 38 of 38 Posts