Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying the breakers yards for a replacement liner that fits under the bonnet - not sure if its for sound deadening or heat resistant to protect the bonnet from engine heat but anyway ......

Firstly I couldn't find a scrappy in Norfolk that actually had an S type - guess that's a good sign really.

Looked further afield and got quoted from £35 cheapest to £80 most expensive and of course it would have delivery on top of that. Just out of curio I phoned the local main dealer and the price was ........ £78.11 inc vat and picking it up tomorrow.

I guess I shouldn't always assume the dealer is going to be extortionate..........

·
Premium Member
23,737 Posts
And you get a new part instead of a crappy second hand one.:mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
17,797 Posts
I was trying the breakers yards for a replacement liner that fits under the bonnet - not sure if its for sound deadening or heat resistant to protect the bonnet from engine heat but anyway ......

Firstly I couldn't find a scrappy in Norfolk that actually had an S type - guess that's a good sign really.

Looked further afield and got quoted from £35 cheapest to £80 most expensive and of course it would have delivery on top of that. Just out of curio I phoned the local main dealer and the price was ........ £78.11 inc vat and picking it up tomorrow.

I guess I shouldn't always assume the dealer is going to be extortionate..........
Good lesson for us all Barry

I had a similar experience with a pair of foglight housings for my Audi A6

I actually created a pol on the Audi forum to regular and veteran / experienced forum users and long time Audi owners. the suggested costings came back at £25 - £30 per side, some reckoned on about £100 all in, one member suggested £60 each etc etc from the dealer

I had called them anyway to enquire and a week or so later, published the results, I gave the dealer £10 and received £1 change, so £4.50 each side

Of course that's not always the case, but just goes to show it's always worth checking

Jim

·
Premium Member
23,737 Posts
It’s a very salient point Jim. Always start with the dealer and then go shopping, you may just be surprised.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
349 Posts
What I do is to get a price from jaguar then work away from that.

if breakers want 75% of the dealer price then it's a dealer purchase.

Once, I had a Vauxhall corsa C 2001 51reg and there was an irmshcer waffle grille for the lower front bumper available.

Prices on ebay were around the £100 mark for new ones, a little less for S/H but not much.

We we were once in lookers Vauxhall looking at cars when I enquired at the parts department how much this part was.

Including vat it was a MASSIVE £12.72!

They had 2 in so I bought them, fitted one to my car and sold the other for £30 and the old one I took off for £10.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you actually tried fitting it yet? It's a pain in the behind!
Not sure if you are thinking of the same thing t0m4ever but I fitted it in the car park when i collected and took 5 minutes tops ! (Note: I had already removed the old one before going to the dealer, but again it was a simple job)

·
Registered
Jaguar S-Type R, registered Dec 2005
1,559 Posts
Not sure if you are thinking of the same thing t0m4ever but I fitted it in the car park when i collected and took 5 minutes tops ! (Note: I had already removed the old one before going to the dealer, but again it was a simple job)
Lucky so and so! It took me 5 minutes to fit and 3 hours to get the bonnet to close properly as the ridge along the top edge was so stiff. Maybe the STR has something extra that this ridge is hitting.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lucky so and so! It took me 5 minutes to fit and 3 hours to get the bonnet to close properly as the ridge along the top edge was so stiff. Maybe the STR has something extra that this ridge is hitting.
Ah ok - sorry but no sympathy from me if you have an STR - he says jealously !

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Same here with my STR. The ridge has crushed now!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.